Modular 6mm Button Panel
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Modular 6mm Button Panel

by DJDevon3 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 am

I was working on a PC that has a front panel LCD. It's an independent LCD and has a coin cell for keeping alive the date/time. The micro buttons are on the backside of the LCD PCB and can only be accessed from inside the PC case. :/ To access the LCD you must remove the hard drive cage then the PSU. Now ask yourself how you're going to power the LCD if the PSU is removed? You must turn on the system temporarily with half the PC gutted just to set the front panel LCD date/time. Frustratingly bad design. So I decided to desolder the buttons and make a breakout button board to panel mount through the face of the PC. I only needed 4 micro buttons. Hot gluing them in place won't work, need a mountable PCB for push buttons. :/ Looked online and couldn't find a simple button panel so I designed my own and ordered it online. Yes I could have used perf board. As long as I have the skills and the means to make it look professional why not. Cost $20 for 10x 4 button PCB's.

Then I thought why not create a larger array of buttons that I could snap off as a modular button panel as needed. Something you can score and break off 3-4 at a time for whatever scenario you need. Each individual button has screw holes for mounting so you can use 1 button or 16 it's up to you. It uses standard 6mm SMT buttons. I created a thing and just wanted to share.

Open source. Enjoy.
https://easyeda.com/DJDevon3/modular-6mm-button-pcb
Attachments
Modular 6mm Button PCB 3D_Front.JPG
Modular 6mm Button PCB 3D_Front.JPG (129.02 KiB) Viewed 104 times

DJDevon3

Re: Modular 6mm Button Panel

by johnpark on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Nice, I like that.

johnpark

by DJDevon3 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Thanks Mr. Park. I was a little worried it was a stupid idea. Glad someone saw some value in it especially someone of your caliber. Means a lot thank you.

DJDevon3

by DJDevon3 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Here's a picture of the small 4 button panel for the PC LCD screen breakout project. Assembled and ready to go. My first fully functional PCB. This one is not modular like the 16 button panel. It was purpose built.
Attachments
4ButtonPanel_Assembled.jpg
4ButtonPanel_Assembled.jpg (272.94 KiB) Viewed 47 times

DJDevon3

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.