RADAR GUN! needed! Almost killed 2 times
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RADAR GUN! needed! Almost killed 2 times

by Stsguy on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:01 pm

Hello friends. My name is Joe. I live in Spring Tx and enjoy riding motorcycles after work to regain some ZEN that is lost doing the days work full of stress and buttheads.... A few months back I was nearly taken from this earth by a drunk female that nearly made me and my bike splatter art for her bumper. 2 nites later I was almost pre flattened by a jacked up 4x4 redneck with an agenda "MORE BEER AND SPEED". I'm as hard headed now as I was in my 20's (long time ago) So I will not allow this to take away something I enjoy so much.
One of the biggest issues on a bike now that cars will easily hit and pass 130 mph of the show room floor is rear end attacks from speeding arrogant drivers that seem to think the road is for them only and we (all of us) are just in the way of him or her showing off the lack of speed limitations while flipping off all others right of space. With that being said I started to look into building a device from already marketed products. I found that KA band runs from 30 to 32000 mhz and will reach the furthest and widest this side of a laser. The laser is too directional unless multiple laser and or receivers are used making the cost too high. I want to make a radar gun KIND of.. that will have a rear facing antenna mounted in a cute chrome cocoon facing to the rear. The Ka Band should reach about 1 mile and cover 5 lanes. The actual electronics in the rangun on the market are way too big due to the redundancy of checks and re checks since it is used to convict in the courts. Strip that all away and the heart of the system ( not reading the speed of the carrying vehicle, only shooting and receiving one subject at a time should be a board that will fit in a small project box 4x4x1 with 2 connectors... one to antenna and one to a light for the dash that will change intensity as a object approaches at greater speeds. Or even a vidrator in the bars or seat. Just to get the attention of the rider to loo in the rearview mirror. Riding on the freeway at 75mph you need to look at the road not stare into a mirror
1/4 of motorbike deaths or from the rear I need help building this project I have started all the legal paperwork to protect the idea but still have a lot to learn I hope with all the smart folks here to find someone that can help me build this tool and hopefully save a few lives. I don't have the knowledge in this field to build the idea. Sadly it appears that most all motorcycle companies have look into this a long time ago but seem to have dropped the idea/ Proximity sensors will not work., if you are at 75 mph and a car comes up at 130mph the reaction time is needed to see it as far out as possible,.
My hands are tired so i will digress to see if someone has interest.
Cheers Joe
Hear is a video of the 1st near miss from the corner store.. The full video is a bit boring so I time stamped to beginning of the footage of the wreck. I am the guy on the bike that turns around and returns to the site. https://youtu.be/bYLTUNTmlss?t=284
Attachments
15230695_1811611969051714_3157408768594851781_n.jpg
15230695_1811611969051714_3157408768594851781_n.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Stsguy

Re: RADAR GUN! needed! Almost killed 2 times

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:23 am

I'm afraid we don't have anything that operates at radar frequencies.

I've heard of speed-radar spoofers before, but don't know of any specific products.

I will suggest that you talk to your local police to see if there are any legal restrictions on making such a device. There's a good chance that the technical problems take a distant second place to the legal problems.

You'll also want to check with the FCC. Anything that emits a signal strong enough to be picked up by a radar detector will have to be licensed, and again, the technology is much less of a problem than the paperwork.

adafruit_support_mike

by Stsguy on Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:32 pm

We have, and there will be a few hurdles to jump but all doable as it looks. the police have zero jurisdiction as we have been informed. We do not want to block or effect any operations the FCC is sending regulations to us and what the process is. from a phone call the info we are getting is mostly all positive, If there is another technology I'm unaware of I would surly look into it as well.. But for now Ka seems to be the talking dawg.... I thought this would be a good forum to meet folks with the ability to build such a tool … Thank you for your input Joe

Stsguy

by zener on Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:55 pm

I am not a radar expert but I have some knowledge. I think there will be extreme technical challenges to this. Mainly I think the issue boils down to signal-to-noise ratio. It sounds like you want performance beyond what police radar can do. I don't think police radar can go anywhere near a mile. Also it has to be aimed and only works in limited circumstances. This is why it has been largely abandoned in favor of Lidar. I think you would need a video analysis type approach that can visually pick out objects and calculate their speed. At the speeds you are talking about it has to be very fast and accurate for the info to have any usefulness. There are so many dangers to motorcycles and this might only address one, and maybe not the most common one. Statistically there may be simpler things that could be done to improve overall survivability. However it would be impressive if you could accomplish it.

zener

by Stsguy on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:16 pm

I agree But haven't found anyone in the area of knowledge to debate the use of video..(video not for the drive just for speed recognition) we ant the riders eyes on the road until necessary It is so much easier to explain talking vs text. But the radar KA band (as we have been told by manufacture. the Ka limits about a mile but a big surface is needed to get feedback I.E. 18 wheeler . The ant. can be adjusted mechanically for coverage. The sweet spot is closer than a mile but ka will work at almost a mile per the tech info we were given... I called and spoke to a few manufacturing companies and repair techs most all info we heard was close to the same.
I know its going to be a chore. If it wasn't Id have one already. lol I need someone that can tear into a radar gun and remove everything but the minimum for it to read speed approaching ant.. then we can start to understand better the cost to build. Or so I guess. anyway .. I would like to get more info on video I do know the latency on transmitted HD has improved enuff for FPV and my security system turns on with movement I just dont have any idea what it would take to build .. or make that idea wok... It sounds like it would be much less expensive.. Thank you great info to chew on.. .

Stsguy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.