Pi Zero Hangs
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pi Zero Hangs

by ThomTalpo on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:41 pm

I have a Pi zero W that I'm trying to build into a camera. I've done this successfully with over twenty pi-zero's. After roughly a day of uploading images, this particular pi zero just hung. I could wake it up by power cycling it, and then it would go for another day and hang again. Finally after several hangs and reboots, it corrupted the memory card and failed to boot at all. I restored operation by rebuilding the memory card and reconfiguring the pi zero. But then it would do the work for awhile-hang-reboot-work... until it corrupted the memory card again. I finally got the pi zero so it would hang right as I entered the password to log on. At this point, I removed the SD card, unplugged the power supply, mini USB interface, and HDMI connector. I then inserted a new pi zero without changing anything else. Now with the new pi zero, the camera is working as intended. What am I doing wrong here, and if nothing, what can I do to exchange the bad pi zero for a new one?

ThomTalpo

Re: Pi Zero Hangs

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:19 am

It does sound like you have enough comparison test data to support the idea that there's a hardware problem in that Zero.

When did you get the RasPi?

adafruit_support_mike

by ThomTalpo on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:02 am

Mike,
Thanks for reviewing my post. The Pi-zero was purchased on September 19, 2019 on order number 2144790-8854330318.

ThomTalpo

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:51 am

Thanks. That's within our 30-day return/replace period.

Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement RasPi Zero.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.