Illuminating my mineral collection
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Illuminating my mineral collection

by Carsmile on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:54 am

Let me begin by stating my knowledge of LED's is very low. BUT, I am eager to learn and willing to put in the time to listen and grow!

I have recently dug some amazing minerals that I want to display a certain way. The LED placement needs to be completely random and the spacing between diodes will not be consistent (place a diode where its needed and then run wiring). I'm not sure if this is possible or not but my vision is to integrate the placement of diode's into a metal stand. The wiring would be ran inside the hollow metal stand and the diode glued on to the frame. Imagine a tree branch with a stable base and a few LED's on them.

I also would like to wire a potentiometer at the base to give the end user something to play with and blow their mind! Any help out there would be great and thank yall for taking the time to read this! Have a good day! Jarred

Carsmile

Re: Illuminating my mineral collection

by franklin97355 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Do you plan to use colored LEDs or White? Do you want them all controlled at the same time or individually?

franklin97355

by dastels on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:06 pm

Individual neopixels would work well for this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4356. Add a microcontroller to drive them. you could then read a potentiometer (or 3) to adjust the color.

Dave

dastels

by Carsmile on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:22 pm

franklin97355 wrote:Do you plan to use colored LEDs or White? Do you want them all controlled at the same time or individually?

White for now but I think certain minerals would look great using colored. I want them to be controlled individually but you just opened my mind about getting an entire display cabinet working together!!! For now.....white and individual

Carsmile

by franklin97355 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:46 pm

What would the pot do? Can you tell us what experience you want the user to have and how you plan to provide that?

franklin97355

by Disciple on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 pm

Hello. Just passing by with a comment, FWIW.
RGB pixels might not provide the illumination that works best for you. They can't deliver an even color balance. RGBW pixels have the white light emitters that will likely bring out more natural-looking colors in your collection, while still enabling color effects. I don't see mini-PCB form in the shop, but it's not hard to snip a strip into individual pixels that work the same way. Best of success.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.