Super Simple Headphone Detection
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Super Simple Headphone Detection

by GoremanX on Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:36 pm

I'm trying to come up with a very simple headphone detection circuit that's external to the Music Maker shield. I want the line-out audio path to go through a relay. When no headphones are plugged in, audio goes through the NC side of the relay. When headphones are plugged in, audio goes through the NO side. Since I have a 5v source from the Arduino board, I was wondering if I could just use the common sleeve of the headphone plug as a pullup switch to trigger the relay. Basically using the common sleeve as the closing contact for the path to a 10k resistor and ground. Would this work? Would it affect the audio signal to the headphones?

GoremanX

Re: Super Simple Headphone Detection

by GoremanX on Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 pm

Nevermind, it just occurred to me that the common line on a headphone jack is always grounded whether something is plugged into it or not. That's not terribly useful. Instead, I found these headphone jacks with switches that accomplish what I need:

http://www.minute-man.com/acatalog/1_4_ ... Jacks.html

GoremanX

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:18 am

We have a similar audio jack in the shop:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1699

The signal comes in through pins with a spring connection to the speaker-out pins. When you plug in a headphone jack, it lifts the signal contacts away from the speaker pins and creates new connections to the headphone speakers.

adafruit_support_mike

by GoremanX on Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:43 pm

Wow, there's a lot of stuff in your online store I wouldn't have thought to look for!

You guys have great customer service. I just bought more stuff for the heck of it to spend money in your store.

GoremanX

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:35 am

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.