Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Stepper Motor Linear Actuator Help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Stepper Motor Linear Actuator Help

by cmckay on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:57 am

Hi All-

I am hoping someone can help me out. I am looking to use stepper motors to create a simple linear actuator to open small drawers on a cabinet. I have a setup using the Uno/BT shield/Relay shield and and app I made all hooked up to a 12v linear actuator rated at 200lbs. Naturally, this is overkill for a small drawer or lid at approx 1-2lbs. I picked up a few stepper motors (4 wires Blk/Red/Green/Blue) and a CNC driver shield. What my newbie brain can't figure out is how can I get the stepper motor to simple run X steps (accurately opens door) when a button is pressed on the app -> relay shield or CNC shield. I may be over simplifying the concept, but I will take any an all help I can get. I tried to play with the CNC shield and loaded GRBL and was able to move the steppers back n forth, but want to run it like a regular 12v motor (press button, relay1 high for x steps, relay1 low). I really appreciate the help all. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Here is what I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N ... UTF8&psc=1

cmckay

Re: Stepper Motor Linear Actuator Help

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:31 am

. . . want to run it like a regular 12v motor (press button, relay1 high for x steps, relay1 low).

Not familiar with the hardware you are using, so I can't help with the programming specifics. But the relay is not relevent to what you want to do. You want to connect a button to a digital input on your processor, then write code monitor for button presses and step the motor accordingly. The shield manufacturer should be able to assist you with code libraries for stepping the motors.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.