SD card issues with raspberry pi
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

SD card issues with raspberry pi

by AidanSeanBradley on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:04 pm

Hello, I recently purchased a raspberry pi 4 from the store here, upon installing the os on an sd card and booting the pi. It did not boot, and the SD card became extremely hot, the SD card is no longer functional. I found on the pi forums that this is not common, though not unheard of. I replaced the SD card with a much higher quality SanDisk sd card. It ran fine for a few weeks, then today that SD card experienced a similar failure. I don't feel that the problem is with the pi itself, as it was running fine for a while. But I wanted to know however if this was a possibility, and the customer support page seemed to direct me to here.

Thanks for any help

AidanSeanBradley

Re: SD card issues with raspberry pi

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:08 pm

That is a weird issue. What is the Pi being used for? What all (if anything) is connected to the Pi, including on the GPIO header?

adafruit_support_carter

by AidanSeanBradley on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Hello, man I wasn't expecting such a rapid response.

Currently it is doing very little, no gio pins are in use. I am very new to both pi and Linux, so currently it is just being used to learn that. However it has ssh enabled and a tightVNCserver running so I can operate it headless. That's really it however.

Thanks again for the help

AidanSeanBradley

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pm

Thanks for the info. That all seems fine.

What are you using for a power supply?

adafruit_support_carter

by AidanSeanBradley on Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm

I am using the "Official Raspberry Pi Power Supply 5.1V 3A" purchased at the same time as the pi.

AidanSeanBradley

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm

That should also be fine. Everything you are doing sounds very benign. Nothing that would be expected to cause the issue you are seeing.

Is the SD card totally dead? If you have another Pi, see if it can boot with the same SD card. If not, see if you can reimage the SD card and get the Pi to boot again.

adafruit_support_carter

by AidanSeanBradley on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm

The card is dead, I don't have another pi to try to boot it with. But when plugged into my desktop through USB, or sd-microsd adapter it does not show up to be reformated, and within a few seconds becomes hot enough to burn skin. I believe it has an internal short, same with the card that failed on first boot.

As mentioned, with the electrical experience I do have which is far from extensive, but is relatively decent. This seems to be a problem with the sd cards, not the pi. But the fact that similar failures happened twice in a short period of time seems strange to me.

For now, I have a new sd card on the way from geeekpi. I've seen their equipment recommended, and I am 3d printing a new version of my case with more airflow around the SD card, as well as adding a system fan. I had been lead to believe this was unnecessary, but my best guess is thermal failure is causing a short in the card.

Those will be here in a few days, and hopefully the changes will make the difference. I'll post an update.

AidanSeanBradley

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:37 pm

OK, thanks for the info. Yes, please update with more info when you have it. That SD card behavior does indicate something is internally wrong with it. The question is what caused that? Just bad SD cards? Something with that particular Pi? Or something more external?

adafruit_support_carter

by AidanSeanBradley on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Yeah. Some further research last night revealed that SanDisk cards become failure prone at relatively low temperatures. People don't even recommend having one in a camera in hot areas... Combine that with the high quality of products Adafruit seems to put out. I think the cards are the likely culprit.

Thanks again

AidanSeanBradley

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.