Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Recommended boards for home automation project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Recommended boards for home automation project

by Geoffrey84 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:59 am

Hello,

I would like to ask for some advice on which Raspberry Pi extension boards to use for this small home automation project:

We want to build an app to control all the light switches in the house. For that we want to use a Raspberry Pi to switch the lights using relays (32 needed) and apart from that we want to read in if a light is currently turned on or off by reading out if there is voltage on the specific circuit (and connecting each circuit to an in-port on the raspberry).

My questions:

-Is this a good approach to do so?
-What relay boards would you recommend for us to use, because by default 32 relays is not supported I guess by the raspberry. Are there any good stackable relay boards that can be used for this?
-There are also not enough in-ports to read out all the separate light circuits. Are there any boards available that can extend the available in-ports on the raspberry and that is compatible with the relays board as well, so we can control the whole solution using only one raspberry?
-It would be highly preferred if we can buy everything from this website.

Thanks for any advice!!

Regards,

Geoffrey

Geoffrey84

Re: Recommended boards for home automation project

by dastels on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:37 pm

A counter-option... why not use Hue (or similar) bulbs?

Dave

dastels

Re: Recommended boards for home automation project

by Geoffrey84 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:23 am

Hi Dastels,

Thanks for your reply!

Well, the whole lighting in the house is in place already and of course, this project is also meant for fun and to learn something new! I agree, installing Philips Hue bulbs would do the job as well (although I guess a little expensive if you need to replace around 50 bulbs), but it would be not that much fun (except when there is a party mabye :'D).

It's hobby! Just need some advice on which extension boards to use for it...

Thanks! :-)

Regards,

Geoffrey

Geoffrey84

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.