Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

DIY Lego LED Bricks Switch?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

DIY Lego LED Bricks Switch?

by nirvdrum on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:11 pm

I've been trying to build the LED Lego project listed at https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-lego-led-bricks/overview and ran into a snag with the switches. The article says it uses Adafruit 1489 switches and the 3D model is built around them, so I ordered them. However, several of the pictures show the bricks lit up seemingly without anyone depressing the button. I took that to mean the switches were latching and didn't really pay attention when placing the order (I was just sticking with the BOM). Now that I have them in hand, I see that they're momentary.

I'm confused how the always-on effect in the various pictures is achieved. The only thing I could come up with is taping the switch button down, but I'm likely overlooking something. Any help would be much appreciated.

nirvdrum

Re: DIY Lego LED Bricks Switch?

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:16 pm

Much like the official Lego illuminated bricks, you can snap in another brick adjacent to the button end to hold the button in. This is shown in the video at about the 4:25 mark.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: DIY Lego LED Bricks Switch?

by nirvdrum on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:20 pm

Thanks. That's what I was missing. I have the Do Not Track header set on my browser, so the embedded video didn't render. I didn't even there was an accompanying video.

nirvdrum

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.