Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Macs with PCI on a proprietary connector
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Macs with PCI on a proprietary connector

by _iCeb0x_ on Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello, people!

I have a very simple project, but very hard to put in practice...

Latest Apple computers (MacBooks, Minis, etc.) have the wireless NIC (Airport Card) on a proprietary connector. Apple System Profiler says the card is on the PCIe bus. Earlier models had a PCIe Mini Card slot, so I think Apple just changed the connector to save a little space and, maybe, make projects like this a lot more difficult! :D

I sourced the connector and it's made by SMK (look here).

I want to make an adapter board that will replace the wireless card with a PCIe 1x connector. Yes, a riser card. Ultimately, I want to make a cheap server with dual ethernet and 3.5" hard disks on a rackmountable case. I am going to use an old ethernet switch case...

My problem: I need find out the signals and pins.

My questions: besides a good multimeter, what else do I need? As a newbie, should I go for a project like this?

I am not really experienced with electronics. My soldering skills allow me to make audio and serial cables, fix old PCBs, mount through-hole components... You get the idea.

Cheers,
_iCeb0x_
_iCeb0x_