M5 camera spectral response

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mystified1

M5 camera spectral response

Post by Mystified1 »

I am interested in using the M5 camera in a night version application do you have the spectral response data available? I want to match the IR emitter to the camera’s sweet spot. Thanks

mikeysklar

Re: M5 camera spectral response

Post by mikeysklar »

I was not able to find Spectral Response data. This might help you find more though. The M5 cameras are based on the OmniVision OV7740 Camera Sensor which claims best in class low light sensitivity. Link and datasheet below.
Using OmniVision's proprietary OmniPixel®3-HS technology, the 1/5-inch OV7740 boasts a best-in-class low light sensitivity of 6.0 V/lux-sec, making it ideal for integrated notebook cameras, as well as stand-alone PC webcams, security and gaming applications
https://www.ovt.com/sensors/OV7740

http://www.dragonwake.com/download/came ... 40_CSP.pdf

Mystified1

Post by Mystified1 »

And the answer is….. not what I was looking for but an IR cut filter is in the lens. 650nm.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@Mystified1,

Just checking to make sure I understand what you are looking for.

If the IR Cut Filter is at 650nm that means stops filtering IR at levels above that wavelength, correct? You were looking for the sweet spot to match an IR emitter so is it the case that you would need to use wavelength longer than 650nm to interact well with the camera?

Did you find the 650nm IR cut filter number based on this chart in the datasheet or through another source?
E7059FDA-8BCB-4A2E-9217-D8BD20AEF020.jpeg
E7059FDA-8BCB-4A2E-9217-D8BD20AEF020.jpeg (651.86 KiB) Viewed 139 times

Mystified1

Post by Mystified1 »

You are correct. The plan is to add IR LEDs to an existing night vision cam. My concern was the camera had a non-removable IR cut filter. (Most do) I was interested in finding the camera’s “sweet spot” to match with the IR LEDs.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”