Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Question about jumper cables
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Question about jumper cables

by Destrozo on Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:10 am

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am new to this. I am in the process of figuring out everything I need for a project involving a RP and some water sensors. This is going to require some long jumper cables because the sensors are going to be spread out and not right next to the RP. When I look at the jumper cables adafruit sells they all seem to be quiet short and I was thinking I could just make my own. They sell crimp tools and connector kits but they are for JST PH or JST-XH. They sell wire housing packs for DIY jumper cables but no crimp ends to use with them. They sell the raw pre-crimped ribbon cable you can separate and use with the housing packs but they are only 6 inches long.

So my questions, am I suppose to use very short jumper cables between the RP and sensors? Can I just buy bulk ribbon cable and crimp my own ends? A bit confused why adafruit would not sell the crimp ends for wire housing packs you use on headers.

Thanks for any help

Destrozo

Re: Question about jumper cables

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:42 am

The pin connections on jumper wires are convenient for prototyping circuits on a breadboard. They are not a great choice for permanent installations.
I'd go with something like a terminal block breakout on the Pi end. You can splice extension cables onto your water sensor leads and attach them to the Pi via the screw terminals.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.