Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle

by Bwanna on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm

Hi,
Seeking assistance for a Bluetooth adapter for my motorcycle to TRANSMIT Stereo audio and RECEIVE Microphone audio (for the CB Radio). This adapter will connect to my Bluetooth headset in my helmet.

Motorcycle 5 Pin DIN connector provides:
-Stereo Audio Output (Left, Right, Center)
-Microphone Audio Input (M+, M-)

Headset: Sena 20s with BT 4.0

Protocols: support A2DP, HSP
Would be nice if defaulted to A2DP and switch to HSP when microphone audio is provided via the headset/bluetooth signal to the adapter.

After a long time researching this can't find any Bluetooth breakout boards that provide this.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bwanna

Re: Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle

by Bwanna on Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:04 am

Followup:

Looking for something similar to BC127, but those eval boards don't appear to be available.

Bwanna

Re: Bluetooth Transceiver Adapter for motorcycle

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:17 pm

You'll probably need to pull parts from an off-the-shelf unit.

Bluetooth is a collective term for a group of mostly-incompatible protocols that happen to be managed by the same industry group. Bluetooth audio is done using the protocol now known as Bluetooth Classic, which is unfriendly to third-party developers. Among other things, all BT-C devices have to transmit a Vendor ID code, which you can only get as a dues-paying member of the BT Working Group ($5k/year last time I checked).

About ten years ago a company offered to let hackers use a subset of their own VID space for noncommercial projects. The BTWG's response was to cancel the whole company's VID space.

None of the other BT-group protocols have enough bandwidth to transmit real-time audio, or have the OS integration to work without specially developed software.

As such, the only real prospect for indepedent Makers is to scavenge parts from licensed hardware.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.