Rotating Door Lock 5v Question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
phaze3131

Rotating Door Lock 5v Question

Post by phaze3131 »

I want to try to setup my rotating 5v door lock that I bought off here:
Rotating Door Lock DC Motor PID: 3881

Eventually I will be setting it up using a raspberry pi but for starters I want to set this up using 2 zwave plugs and 2 5v adapters.

I want to have the 5v adpaters plugged into the zwave plugs (outlet) and have one of them +5v to the red wire / ground to black, and the other one sending +5v to black wire / ground to red.

With this simplistic design I think I should be somehow using a relay instead of sending direct forward or reversed voltages to control the forward / backward spin.

thanks for any help

dastels

Re: Rotating Door Lock 5v Question

Post by dastels »

An H-Bridge driver would be the best thing to use for controlling it. E.g. https://www.adafruit.com/product/4489.

I'm not sure about having two power supplies directly connected in opposition like that. Doesn't sound like a good idea since you'll be connecting voltage "backwards" the the unpowered one. I have no idea what that will do to the unpowered supply. I expect it really depends on it's design. And all bets are off if both happen to get powered at the same time.

All that said, it's an amazing motor for the right job. I've used it before to automate pushing a button periodically (having it turn a 3d printed cam).

Dave

phaze3131

Post by phaze3131 »

thanks

yes that's the problem I dont want both power supplies connected I want one power supply and use the zwave to just activate forward or backward just not sure how to wire this or what component can do this

dastels

Post by dastels »

As I said.
An H-Bridge driver would be the best thing to use for controlling it. E.g. https://www.adafruit.com/product/4489.
Just don't set both inputs high or you have the same problem.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”