RP2040 Macropad LEDs ESDead?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
IdleChris

RP2040 Macropad LEDs ESDead?

Post by IdleChris »

I've had my Macropad for a few days now and have had success getting Circuit Python running and using/modifying Phillip Burgess HotKeys scripts and all the NeoPixels worked more or less fine. I found that I needed to call macropad.pixels.show() twice for it to actually update the 12th LED properly. Hadn't had time to investigate why this might be happening before... while moving the Macropad I had an ESD discharge on the bottom right corner and now all but the top left #1 and #2 NeoPixels are dead. None of the 3 leds on each of the other 10 NeoPixels light up any more. I tried controlling them using the REPL and command that work 100% fine for #1 and #2 do nothing for the rest.

Looking at the schematics, I see that the DataIn/DataOut chain actually goes from #3>#2>#1>#4 and so on, so I'm a little surprised that #3 is dead while 1 and 2 are fine. I guess I popped just the LEDs and not the controller IC?

I ordered some new NeoPixels and will do a swap. I'm curious if this is a common problem with the Macropad board?

Thanks,
Chris

dastels

Re: RP2040 Macropad LEDs ESDead?

Post by dastels »

I'd start by closely inspecting the soldering on the 4 pins of each neopixel and touch up any that look suspect.

Dave

IdleChris

Post by IdleChris »

Good idea, thanks for the tip. That might also explain the "need to send 2 updates" to get it to change as well. I'll report back when I have a chance to troubleshoot further.

--Chris

IdleChris

Post by IdleChris »

Well, the NeoPixels I ordered from Adafruit (WS2812-2020) were the wrong form-factor/footprint for the MACROPad. I'm not sure I'm finding the correct form factor for sale. Anyone know what the correct replacement parts would be for me to order?

dastels

Post by dastels »

I believe these are what you want https://www.adafruit.com/product/4960.

Dave

IdleChris

Post by IdleChris »

Bingo, thanks!

IdleChris

Post by IdleChris »

Replaced 2 Neopixels, the top right and bottom right and now all 12 of them are working as expected.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Good work!

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”