Why would this NOT work?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Why would this NOT work?

by epicelite on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:26 am

I think it would but before I go potentially ruining a N64 controller and stuff what do you think?

The square things with arrows are diodes.
EDIT:
Also I forgot a standard phone line has 4 wires so diodes and 2 wires for the receiver/N64 too?
THINGS I NEED TO REMEMBER:
If it ant' broke, don't fix it.
epicelite

Re: Why would this NOT work?

by phil.drummond on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:31 pm

If I understand what you are proposing, you want to use two phones to carry the information between your game console and your control.
There's a whole mess of reasons you can't do this with simple diodes.
1.) The information moving through the wires between the game console and the controller is not handled with a single pair of wires like the audio between the phone and it's speaker (or microphone).
2.) The amount of information being sent is more than the available "bandwidth" used in the audio circuit of a phone (frequencies between 300 and 3000 Hz for the phone, and others in the controller).
3.) The Voltage levels of the signals in the controller and console are not within the voltage ranges of the speaker and microphone circuits of phones.
4.) There would be no way (without some sort of modem) to separate the signals related to the different functions on the controller... everything would get mixed together and be indistinguishable from each other at the other end.

In a nutshell, no, you can not simply attach some diodes to the wires and have what you want happen.

Remote game controllers use a radio (or IR) modem to encode the button and joystick inputs in the controller and transmit that coded signal to the receiver attached to the console. The receiver decodes those signals and reproduces the signals for the console.

Modem: MODulator-DEModulator
phil.drummond

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.