repeated soldering
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

repeated soldering

by dragonuv on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:33 am

Ive bought a LCD screen & controller, and im willing to solder the wires to its pinout (because my wire is stranded and it is difficult to keep it without the wire being disconnected), is it recommended?
and is it ok if i solder the wires again so i can get them out?
and can this repeated soldering damage the lcd?

thanks.
dragonuv

Re: repeated soldering

by mtbf0 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 am

eventually you'll probably lift the solder pads off the circuit board.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by zener on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Can you post a picture? I am unclear what you are trying to do. Soldering is like many things: "easy once you know how". What kind of iron do you have? Do you have some wick? Keep your temp down to avoid lifting the traces. Good advice is "get in, get out". The solder has a "working life". If the solder gets crusty, remove it and use fresh. And you don't want the wire insulation to melt either so another reason not to linger.

zener

by acquisition on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:23 am

I would say get a male-male header and solder to the lcd. Then you can just leave it on there and do any soldering to the header. Or you can get a ribbon cable and connector.

acquisition

by dragonuv on Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 am

acquisition wrote:I would say get a male-male header and solder to the lcd. Then you can just leave it on there and do any soldering to the header. Or you can get a ribbon cable and connector.

great idea, thanks
dragonuv

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.