Question about purchasing electronic components
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Question about purchasing electronic components

by JoeELP on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:46 am

So I've been playing with my arduino for awhile now, and I'm doing pretty well. Problem is, radio shack doesn't really have much of a selection as far as new parts, and I have some plans that I'm really interested in but can't seem to figure out how to buy what I need.

I'm interested in doing a decently high resolution POV, so I'm looking for a hall effect sensor and as far as I can tell a 74hc374 IC.

I'm picking this one because of this link:

http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... duino.html

I want 20+ leds on this one, and I think it would be a good learning experience. BUT, buying the damn thing is just beyond me. I've hit this problem with other ICs I've wanted to buy, and different sensors, basically a whole slew of gizmos that seem like fun. If I go to digikey, doing a search for 74hc374 gives you plenty to choose from, but I don't know how to differentiate between them all.

So, where do I figure out what chips are available and what their purpose is, how are the same chips from different companies different, and where can I find a clear, concise and accessible guide to all the knickknacks (linear regulators, transistors, h-bridges, etc)?
JoeELP

Re: Question about purchasing electronic components

by zener on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:30 pm

Just do it for 20 years then you will know. HA HA. Just post your questions here and someone will help. As for HC logic, they are all the same. The only difference is the package. You probably want dip (pins), not SMT. Generally the suffix for dip will be N or P, but not always. And of course they throw other letters in there for fun. And of course every mfg uses a different system. But Digikey will tell you the package. If you describe what you want I will give you a PN. That is my job. Also, the Digikey parametric search is pretty good for sorting things out, but not perfect of course.

zener

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.