๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

A hold/delayed reset switch
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

A hold/delayed reset switch

by ThomasBags on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:28 am

So I've been throwing around an idea to safely power off some of my devices without accidental bump into the reset button. I had the idea of creating something that would act similar to a PC power off switch, in that after you hold it for a certain amount of time it would force shut down.
For this project I would like to shy away from using a microcontroller and just find a way by using regular cheap components as I'd like to incorporate them into a few different project.
ThomasBags

Re: A hold/delayed reset switch

by franklin97355 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:58 am

Take a look at the 555 chip. Might be what you want for this.

franklin97355

by zener on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:04 pm

To me it sounds like a $20 solution to a $1 problem. If I understand the problem. Just put your reset button where it won't get bumped. However, I look at these things practically, and people here seem to want to have "fun".

zener

by Amberwolf on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 am

Two-bit solution :) : Use an RC filter on the reset button.

If reset is active low, put a large-value resistor from VCC to reset line of your project.
Large-value capacitor from reset line to ground.
Large-value resistor from reset line to one side of reset button.
Other side of reset button to ground.
Small-value resistor from reset line to actual reset pin of MCU, to prevent any possible large-scale currents from flowing out of MCU into the fully-discharged capacitor.

Calculate values of reset button's resistor and the capacitor such that it will take a few seconds to discharge the capacitor down to a level that will trigger reset.
Ensure that the resistor from VCC to reset line is such that it cannot charge the cap faster than the other one discharges it (should be several times the value of the reset button resistor, must be sufficiently larger that the voltage divider created by it will allow a low enough voltage to cross the reset threshold).

Pressing the reset button will ground the capacitor thru the reset button resistor, discharging it at the rate of RrbC minus whatever current is being fed back into it via the divider created by the VCC-reset line resistor. At some point, the voltage will be below the reset threshold and the project/device/etc will reset.

If reset is active high, reverse all the components' VCC/ground connections.
Watch me build an electric bike from assorted junk!
Alternative Energy Sources for the Home from Recycled Junk
A subsidiary of Cybernetic Necromancers, Discorporated:
"We Bring Dead Things To Life"
Amberwolf

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.