๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Trigger Sampled Sounds
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trigger Sampled Sounds

by soundog on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:53 pm

I am working on a project for school, and want to trigger sampled drum sounds via an Atmel chip (or similar). The Wave Shield project here sounds promising, but I am not sure if its response time would be quick enough. Basically, I want to be able to hit a piezo transducer, and have it trigger a sampled drum sound. So, the response time needs to be very fast (minimal latency).

The sounds could be stored on an SD/MMC card, I suppose, if that would be fast enough .... but I was wondering if there might be a chip that I could load and store sampled sounds on .... preferably at least 16-bit so the sound is of good quality. The drum sounds would be of short duration (like snare and kick drums), and I would like to be able to store a number of sounds (6 or so), that I could trigger.

No midi would be required, I would just like to have the piezo trigger the sample sound as directly and cheaply as possible.

No amplification would be required on the device, I would just need a line-level signal, which would plug into a guitar amp or mixer.

Thank you in advance for any ideas of components that might get me to my goal.
soundog

Re: Trigger Sampled Sounds

by adafruit on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:36 pm

there are ESD chips, which store the sound 'in the chip' but are notoriously low quality :(
or you can use something like the waveshield on an arduino, which is more expensive but is somewhat better quality.
or you can use an MP3 module such as the one from FTDI which is much better quality (MP3) but still requires a microcontroller
http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDet ... dny1tIY%3D

adafruit

by sigflup on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:31 pm

You could load it onto an sram with it's data-pins connected to a DAC. Then share the sram bus between a microcontroller and a counter. You could then clock the counter off a separate clock or maybe an io pin on the microcontroller tied to a timer event. There's a similar project with eprom here: http://www.webx.dk/oz2cpu/radios/eprom-sound.htm (note: lots of wicked projects on that page)
sigflup

by franklin97355 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:31 pm

something like THIS

franklin97355

by soundog on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:12 pm

Well, thanks very much for finding these, but these clips appear to fall into these categories:

1) arduino sends midi data, which is sent to a pc or midi sound module to create drum sound
2) arduino activates a mechanical device which strikes a drum or object to create drum sound
3) arduino plays an electronic bleep sound (to simulate a drum)

I am trying to create a low cost circuit (no midi or midi sound module, BUT need realistic drum sounds) that will trigger playback of a sampled drum sound, ideally stored on a ROM. Anyone know of how to store sampled audio data, store it on a chip, and then play it back? I would like to be able to play different sounds (different chip addresses). Also, mono 16-bit sound is adequate.

There must be some easy way to achieve this, eh?

Thanks again, all....
soundog

by soundog on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:14 pm

Sigflup, the link you sent is the closest to what I am after ..... some sort of EPROM. I will continue to poke at this route, but if anyone has any other info on this or other method to do what I am trying to do, please let me know.
soundog

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.