Audio Cupcade gpios

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
eir12

Audio Cupcade gpios

Post by eir12 »

I have ruined the left/right/ground wiring on the cupcade board. Is there any other ways to connect the audio

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Audio Cupcade gpios

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Post a photo showing your hardware and we'll see what workarounds might be possible. 800x600 images usually work best.

eir12

Post by eir12 »

https://imgur.com/gallery/cB9HO
This is a link to My photos

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Might be able to salvage this, with some finesse. More on that in a moment.

Board traces are pulled up. This usually means too much heat. By chance are you using a bigass soldering gun? 'Cuz that'll do it. Or if you are using a pencil-type iron, and if it's the adjustable type, set it for 650°F (~350°C) and don't spend more than about 3 seconds on any one point.

Each of the damaged pads can be traced to other points...one of them is pretty simple, but the other's quite tiny.

Following the same orientation in your second photo, the topmost of the three pads is ground...you can connect that wire from the headphone cable to any other ground point on the board...for example, one of the button pads (but there are many others). I've highlighted this in yellow in the image below.

The other two pads tie together...you can maybe twist these together on the headphone cable, might want a third wire then to link to this point (shown in cyan)...second pin from the top-left on the small chip on the board. Tiny, delicate stuff...notes above about soldering temperatures are especially relevant here.
pads.png
pads.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 181 times

eir12

Post by eir12 »

so i am going to sorder the ground to one of the pads and all the blue is where i wire them together. The blue one i just twist left and right and solder it togheter.
Attachments
banana boat.png
banana boat.png (41.4 KiB) Viewed 178 times

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Only the areas I marked (yellow and cyan rectangles) need work. Ignore the blue lines...that's just the CAD software showing the traces on the other side of the board; nothing you need to change there.

i.e. the "blown up" pad with a yellow rectangle: move this wire over to the other yellow-rectangled pad. You'll need to tack this on to the pin that's already there (from the button), don't remove it.
The two blown-up pads with a cyan rectangle: join those wires and connect to this tiny pad on the IC chip if possible.

eir12

Post by eir12 »

i got th eaudio to work but i can barely hear it. i have cranked the volum ti the fullest but it is still really low

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

From the command line, try:

amixer set Master 100 unmute

Are you using the Cupcade SD image or are you working with something like RetroPie?

If the above 'amixer' command doesn't fix it, it's possible the amplifier circuit was damaged from the heavy-handed soldering or just has a minor short somewhere...i do see a few scattered solder blobs around the board. Look the board over for any solder bridges between pins or other conductive detritus, scrape them away with tweezers or such (making sure they don't land elsewhere on the board or inside the Cupcase case).

eir12

Post by eir12 »

Now its really distorted

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”