Pocket PIGRRL image problem

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
unScarred

Pocket PIGRRL image problem

Post by unScarred »

I'm trying to debug an issue that I have with the Pocket PiGrrl instructions and while I've found similar posts here (and similar ones elsewhere) I haven't found a solution to my problem. I'm an old hand at soldering and wiring and have done a lot of arduino projects but I'm new to RPI.

When I format and load the image provided in the instructions here https://learn.adafruit.com/pocket-pigrrl/software-1 - the RPI that I bought from adafruit for this project won't boot. When I power it on the green LED flashes 8 times over and over.

I went out online and grabbed a default NOOBS image, loaded that, and it boots fine.

I also went out and grabbed the default RetroPie image and loaded that, it boots fine but is not configured correctly for the PiGrrl hardware configuration.

On the same exact SD card, if I reformat and load the Adafruit PiGrrl image, I get no boot and light flashing 8 times over and over.

It appears as though there's an issue with this image. I read a few threads (unrelated to PiGrll but referencing the same 8 light flash issue) that indicated it's a hardware compatibility issue with some versions of Raspbian and newer firmware versions on the RPI - but I'm really new to this and have no idea if that's what's happening here.

Can you either help me troubleshoot what's wrong with the image provided in the instructions, or help me with instructions for how to modify the default RetroPie image so that it works with the TFT display and controls as wired in the instructions?

Thanks very much.

Guy

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pocket PIGRRL image problem

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The RasPi line got a hardware upgrade a couple of weeks ago. In some cases, they got new microprocessors that aren't compatible with older versions of Raspbian.

We learned that the same day as everyone else, so we didn't have a chance to update all our OS images.

Actually, the event kick-started a new policy for us: instead of trying to build OS images and keep them in sync with the hardware, we're moving toward installer scripts that will add the necessary pieces to any version of the OS that's bascially compatible with Raspbian. Those should be at least a little more resilient to sudden changes in the OS.

Try using the manual installation instructions instead of the image:

https://learn.adafruit.com/pocket-pigrrl/software

unScarred

Post by unScarred »

Thanks for the quick response, I'll try the manual setup steps and will let you know how it goes.

unScarred

Post by unScarred »

Following the manual software install steps on top of the latest RetroPie image worked well. I'm still resolving some minor other issues with the project, but the software/display/controls are all working fine. Thanks for your help!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear it's working for you. Happy hacking!

jeremiahburt

Post by jeremiahburt »

I am having the same problem as unScarred. As you suggested, I did the manual installation. After going through all of that, I realized I still need to probably set up retropie for the 4 button option (which I am going to use). I cannot, however, find any directory called "Adafruit-Retrogame" nor is there any file called "retrogame.c" to edit.

I have already installed the PiTFT Support, edited the Config.txt and tweaked the correct settings, changed the raspi-config to force audio through the 3.5 mm audio port, and lastly installed Keypress support.

To set this up via SSH, I popped the sd card into a Raspberri Pi 3 that I already had hooked up to my television. I used the retropi image for the RP0/1, but I figured that shouldn't delete these specific folders/files.

Am I missing something here?

JonnyTire

Post by JonnyTire »

I have been having this same problem, today I went through these instructions and still have the white screen of death https://learn.adafruit.com/pocket-pigrrl/software I am using a pi zero and everything else is working except the screen

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”