Smart Golf Ball

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fjmandrel

Smart Golf Ball

Post by fjmandrel »

Hello!

I am a graduate student from the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT).

I am working on the final project of my studies and I am trying to develop a trackable golf ball. I was thinking about using a Bluetooth LE device which would be allocated on the core of the ball. It should be as small and light as possible and I was wondering if it would be possible to be a cubic, spheric, cylindrical or other shape instead of flat like the regular ones, so the surface could be reduced and it would affect less to the dynamics of the ball.
Which would be the approximated minimum surface of a bluetooth LE device?
if it is possible to do it in a cubic shape what could be approximately the size of each surface?
And do you know an approximately minimum weight for the device?

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Franklin97355

Re: Smart Golf Ball

Post by Franklin97355 »

Moved to General Project help.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Smart Golf Ball

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Bluetooth has a nominal range of about 10m, which is a lot shorter than the average golf ball's range.

You'd also have to deal with some serious mechanical forces.. high-speed photos of golf balls leaving the tee show the ball being compressed to a hemisphere at the moment of impact with the club.

You'd probably have better luck contacting one of the golf ball manufacturers to see what kinds of forces a ball experiences, and see if they have any suggestions about embedding things within a ball.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”