INA169 Current Sensor

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MrBaz

INA169 Current Sensor

Post by MrBaz »

First -- There is NOT a fritzing object in the library for the INA169. The file for the 169 is actually the INA219. Can someone fix this please?

Wiring:

VCC -- Arduino 5V
Ground -- Arduino ground (also connected to 9V battery (-) terminal)
OUT -- Arduino A7 pin
VIN(+) -- 9V Battery (+) terminal
VIN(-) -- Load (+) terminal
Load (-) -- 9V Battery (-) terminal

Load is a voltage divider running a simple 5mm LED. Arduino isn't picking up anything on the analog pin.

LED lights up. Using a multimeter I am not getting anything on the OUT pin from the INA169 either. I think the LED was only pulling 12mA of current? Is that too small for the default INA169 configuration to read (1:1 ration V:A)?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: INA169 Current Sensor

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We provide Fritzing files as a convenience, if we need them, and if we have time. They aren't part of any standard product support package.

We have a tutorial showing how you can convert our Eagle design files to Fritzing files if you're interested:

https://learn.adafruit.com/make-beautif ... g/overview

MrBaz

Post by MrBaz »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:We provide Fritzing files as a convenience, if we need them, and if we have time. They aren't part of any standard product support package.

We have a tutorial showing how you can convert our Eagle design files to Fritzing files if you're interested:

https://learn.adafruit.com/make-beautif ... g/overview
I did not know I could do that. Thanks for the link to the tutorial!

MrBaz

Post by MrBaz »

Just an update:

The Arduino must have a minimum threshold on the analog pins. I was able to get the LED circuit to pull 50mA, but even that wasn't enough to trigger the analog pin. Using a calibrated multimeter (PMEL certified FLUKE) I can measure 5mA through the circuit, and a 0.005V on the output pin of the INA169. I'll be using this to measure much greater currents, so I don't think it will be a problem. Just posting in case anyone else comes across this.

zener

Post by zener »

A 10 bit A/D with a 5V reference will need about .005V to hit the first increment of its resolution (5/1024).

johnnnn

Post by johnnnn »

hello, help me
We used the current sensor INA21 with the Arduino card and we got good results. To improve the accuracy we bought another current sensor of type INA169 Analog DC Current Sensor, but sadly, we do not have the program to use this sensor with Arduino. Can you help us ?

adafruit_support_mike

Connect the output to one of the analog pins, and use analogRead().

ranji_h

Post by ranji_h »

Hi, sorry for posting under someones question, but I cannot find a tab to open a new ticket on my account. I have 2 x INA 169 current readers, and unfortunately cannot get them working, either with the Pi or the arduino. I have tried for a couple of weeks now, and am making no progress. I can get similar Pololu current readers working with the arduino analog read () no problems, but am not getting anything from the INA's. I have tried also to read them on the Pi, using an MCP 3008. This works perfectly when tested with a pot, but still reads zero from the INA's. They are connected correctly, Vin+ and Vin- in line with the positive feed to the circuit that I am trying to measure the current in, Vcc to Arduino 5V, Ground to Arduino Ground, OUT to A0 on arduino. Similar for Pi, except tried 3.3V power, and OUT to Ch0 on MCP3008. The current in the circuit that I measured in-line with my multimeter is 90mA, or 50mA in a different circuit I tried, and just Zero read the whole time from the INA's. Any suggestions please? Or do you think they are Dead?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated as I am about to eat them (Lol) and am under pressure to get my project done.

adafruit_support_mike

Do you measure any voltage on the INA196's OUT pin with a voltmeter?

ranji_h

Post by ranji_h »

I wasnt sure how to do this? I can measure voltage across 2 terminals, or either side of something with my voltmeter, but I wasn't sure what to do with only one wire coming out of the sensor? Is it in line same as when I was measuring the current?

adafruit_support_mike

Measure the voltage between the INA169's OUT pin and GND pin.

GND is the reference point for all other voltages in the circuit.

ranji_h

Post by ranji_h »

Great, thanks for that :) I have measured the voltage between Out and Ground on the sensor, while arduino is running analogRead(A0). I got 1.775 Volts, both with and without the current being switched on in the circuit. The Serial port displays 0 when the program is running (Serial.println (sensorValue)), but rises once I put the volt-meter across the out and ground on the sensor. Sensor value has been previously declared: int sensorValue = analogRead(A0);

adafruit_support_mike

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections and we'll see if those have any clues. 800x600 images usually work best.

ranji_h

Post by ranji_h »

The Test-circuit
The Test-circuit
CIMG0790.JPG (165.6 KiB) Viewed 914 times
My new INA219's
My new INA219's
CIMG0789.JPG (179.96 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Ok, I have given up since on the INA 169's, I was just using too much time trying to get it right, and my project had to be ready. I have since bought 2 x INA 219 sensors through one of your local suppliers, and that is what is pictured now in the circuit. They are both measuring current in the same circuit, just for calibration purposes at the mo. They seem to be working well. So I still have the 2 x INA 169's not working, they were wired exactly like the 219's, but had just the one output instead of the 2 for I2C. 'Out' was connected to one of the Analog ports on the arduino....I was testing them both individually. Will I send them back to Adafruit for testing?

adafruit_support_mike

Glad to hear the INA219s are working for you. You don't need to send the INA169s back, but if they're no longer connected to your circuit you'll need to set up another circuit to test them if you want to.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”