Due to high demand, expect some shipping delays at this time - orders may not ship for up to 2-3 business days.

Audio FX and Simple M4 RF receiver
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Audio FX and Simple M4 RF receiver

by HankLloydRight on Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:50 pm

Simple question... how would I connect the four output lines of the M4 remote receiver to the input triggers of the Audio FX board?

And I assume the "toggle" version of the M4 board will properly trigger the AudioFX to play the entire clip assigned to each trigger (i.e. I don't need the latching version of the remote board).

Obviously, I want to trigger the Audio FX board using a wireless remote.

Thanks.

HankLloydRight

Re: Audio FX and Simple M4 RF receiver

by HankLloydRight on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:12 pm

Ok, nevermind.. I found this article: https://learn.adafruit.com/audio-fx-rem ... rol/wiring which is great.

So what's the best way to convert this little inverter breadboard circuit into a mini-PC board, say if I wanted to produce 100 of these?

Something that takes the four inputs, four outputs and power. Either as a sandwich between the AudioFX and the remote board (preferred), or side-by-side.

thanks.

HankLloydRight

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:33 am

You can do a board layout using design software like Eagle, Kicad, or Fritzing, then ship the files off to a board house for production.

The turnaround time is usually a couple of weeks unless you want to pay extra for a rush order, and you can expect to pay around $500 for the first batch (in any quantity from 1 to 200) of any new board. Most of that is setup and tooling cost. Once you have a design on file with the board house, small batches of PCBs usually cost around $1 per square inch.

An alternative would be to use a generic PCB like our Perma-Proto:

https://www.adafruit.com/category/466

We buy in large enough quantities to get better price breaks, so even at retail they'll cost you less than having your own batch made from our design files.

adafruit_support_mike

by HankLloydRight on Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks Mike.

As an alternative, could I use either of these remote control boards directly with the Audio FX without needing an inverter?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12CH-12-Channel ... 1205174363
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-10A-relay-1 ... 1776256581

This has the added benefit that I could use channels 11 and 12 for volume up/down.

My application is automotive, so I will have 12v source power.

thanks.

HankLloydRight

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:31 am

The relay version would work, but would kind of be overkill. I'm not sure if the other one would work because I couldn't find any specs for its output.

adafruit_support_mike

by HankLloydRight on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:17 am

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The relay version would work, but would kind of be overkill. I'm not sure if the other one would work because I couldn't find any specs for its output.

I'm going to assume the 12 channel remote also is active high and would need the same kind of inverter setup (just more).

And here's an odd question I have: On the remote RF board in toggle mode, if I press two buttons simultaneously, do both pins go high, or just the second one to be pressed? I'm thinking if so, I could build a logic circuit to detect multiple button presses to control the volume (Say A+B is Vol Up and C+D is Vol Down). If I'm going to design a PC board anyway for the inverters, I think it should be possible to add in a couple of AND gates instead of a hardware volume switch.

thanks for your replies.

-Hank

HankLloydRight

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:02 am

Our toggle receivers change state when you press the button, so both lines would probably respond.

The momentary receivers can handle more than one signal at the same time, but the behavior is a little erratic. If you press two buttons at roughly the same time, both pins on the receiver will respond. If there's a delay between the presses (I don't remember how long.. around half a second I think), the new signal overrides the old one.

adafruit_support_mike

by Disciple on Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:09 am

Hank, I'm another customer with a related project, and I would be interested in the results of your tests of the toggling receivers. I use the momentary version receivers, and mine don't respond to additive button presses. I described their behavior in another discussion, in case it's relevant. (Their reaction time is also much too slow to capture a typical double-click, alas.)

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by HankLloydRight on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks for your replies.

I may use a separate larger amplifier with a dedicated volume control, which means I won't need the multiple button press action to control the volume as I had intended.

HankLloydRight

by HankLloydRight on Thu May 24, 2018 9:42 pm

I just wanted to revisit this thread and post my completed project -- an EV Pedestrian Horn.

See: https://ev-cpo.com/horn

I was clearly inspired by this project by Phillip Burgess: https://learn.adafruit.com/audio-fx-rem ... l/overview

But I wanted to build a more robust solution for cars, with 8 channels.

I never designed a PC board before, so that was a fun learning experience. I had the PCBs manufactured, bought a ton of parts, and I am now putting these kits together. I can also sell a parts-kit and the blank PCB for anyone that wants to build it all themselves.

As the original post mentions, this can be used for wearables, cosplay, toys, games, Halloween, or really anything that needs remote activated sound effects.

HankLloydRight

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri May 25, 2018 11:51 pm

Looks good.. thanks for posting the follow-up!

adafruit_support_mike

by adafruit2 on Sun May 27, 2018 6:32 pm

this is cool! nice work, you may want to put it up on Tindie :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.