Newbie Soundboard Question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rant

Newbie Soundboard Question

Post by rant »

I'm working on a simple prop; wanted to trigger five sounds from a soundboard (using the audio FX soundboard). Have all my files loaded and named, got it all working on a test with solderless breadboard (didn't put together the lipo battery backpack or separate amp, just testing with the aux jack on the board).

So my question: is there a way to trigger the files where I don't have to stop the first to start the second? I'm using latching loops on all five files, but I'd like to be able to go from sound 1 to sound 2, without having to stop sound 1 first. From poking my head around, all I see is the hold loop or latching loop, and neither give that option. I know the Next and Random naming methods will not let the file loop.

Any thoughts?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Newbie Soundboard Question

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you mean, "can I play two tracks at the same time?" the answer is no. The FX Board doesn't have the hardware to do that.

If you just want the next button press to trigger the next track, try the HOLD trigger type. That will start playing when you press the pin, then keep playing until you press another pin.

Dictater

Post by Dictater »

I think you're actually referring to overlap. Sound 0 overlapping sound 10. Not at the same time, but the most active trigger overtaking the last.
If thats correct, you can use relays (I used spdt style) and overlap triggers, keeping the base sound (my example is an "idle" sound) at 10, then prioritizing triggers forward through the normally closed circuit on the relays. The only downfall is that if you triggered 9 when 7 was playing, it wouldn't work backwards and youd have to wait for the loop cycle to end for 7.

Does that make sense?

rant

Post by rant »

Dictater wrote:I think you're actually referring to overlap. Sound 0 overlapping sound 10. Not at the same time, but the most active trigger overtaking the last.
If thats correct, you can use relays (I used spdt style) and overlap triggers, keeping the base sound (my example is an "idle" sound) at 10, then prioritizing triggers forward through the normally closed circuit on the relays. The only downfall is that if you triggered 9 when 7 was playing, it wouldn't work backwards and youd have to wait for the loop cycle to end for 7.

Does that make sense?
This makes sense and sounds like what I am looking to do. Do I need any additional hardware to do this?

I'd like to have a looping sound playing when the audio FX board is powered, then use a trigger to play a different sound. (I still have this all on solderless breadboard). I know that plugging one of the triggers to the ground row will play the sound on start-up, but I can't get any of the other triggers on my board to overtake the first loop.

Ideally, I'd like to have a three-way power switch (on-off-on), so I could have two different triggers play on startup, depending on the switch position. I don't know if that's realistic though.

adafruit_support_mike

Adding a switch to control the startup sound isn't too hard.. you'd just need what's known as a single-pole/double-throw switch: one connection on the input side and two switchable connections on the output side:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/805

WRT the triggers not preempting each other, what kind of triggers are you using?

rant

Post by rant »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:Adding a switch to control the startup sound isn't too hard.. you'd just need what's known as a single-pole/double-throw switch: one connection on the input side and two switchable connections on the output side:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/805

WRT the triggers not preempting each other, what kind of triggers are you using?
I'm using WAV files; I want them to loop; I'm not sure if the latching loop file name is a factor. In case I'm misunderstanding, I'm using these tactile switches to start/stop the trigger.

adafruit_support_mike

What are the names of the files? The FX Board's main chip decides how to interpret input signals based on the names of the files.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”