BANNED 4 pipboy Project (software issue)

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dweiand

BANNED 4 pipboy Project (software issue)

Post by dweiand »

https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... 0/overview

So I am working on making a pip-boy. I did my own CAD and used all of the components listed in the above project overview. I have followed all the steps and assembled everything. But I can't get the Pipboy IMG to work on my pi. I was able to get raspbian running on my pi. But my problem comes when write the Pipboy IMG onto the micro SD card. After writing the Pipboy IMG onto the SD card, I insert it into the pi and boot it up. But nothing happens on boot up now. The display just stays as a white screen and doesn't change. When booting with just Raspbian, it starts as a white screen, but does eventually boot up.

I have no idea what to do, or what information is needed to help identify the problem. Please help, I can provide information as needed.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: BANNED 4 pipboy Project (software issue)

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Just to check, what kind of RasPi are you using? There have been a lot of hardware changes in the RasPi platform in the last year or so, and older OS images don't work with some of the newer boards.

dweiand

Post by dweiand »

I am using the B+. Same components as in the guide.

spork99

Post by spork99 »

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever get it resolved?

adafruit_support_mike

Where is the system halting?

dweiand

Post by dweiand »

After I have written the pipboy software onto the micro SD card, I put the card in the Pi and turn it on. But nothing happens after that. The screen stays blank, and I don't see anything booting up.

spork99

Post by spork99 »

I have the same experience, I can boot the Pi with Raspian and the PiTFT, so I don't suspect the hardware. When I boot with the Pipboy image SD card, the PiTFT screen goes white and stays that way. I left it for an hour or so and nothing changed. I noted that when it starts, the Yellow/Green ACT LED (next to the Red PWR LED) comes on and stays on, but it's impossible to tell what the Pi is doing.

spork99

Post by spork99 »

Reviewing the SD card on my laptop, I see that there's an issue.txt file which reads:

Code: Select all

Raspberry Pi reference 2014-09-08 (armhf)
Generated using spindle, http://asbradbury.org/projects/spindle/, 5550906, stage4-lxde-edu.qed
From what I can glean from Google search, this indicates some kind of kernel panic or a problem with the SD Card...I'm stumped. I'm going to try re-imaging the microSD card again and give it another shot.

spork99

Post by spork99 »

I don't know if it's important, but here's the contents of my SD card with the PipBoy image on it.Image

adafruit_support_mike

I've sent a message to the folks who developed that project.

spork99

Post by spork99 »

Thanks Mike!

Hopefully they respond quickly. The Pipboy is for my son's first Comicon, the week before Halloween, he's going as a Vault Dweller. I was hoping to have this wrapped up by then.

spork99

Post by spork99 »

As a side note, just for grins, I decided to try using the Pipboy SD card to boot a Raspberry Pi B connected to a HDMI monitor. Instead of just doing nothing as the B+ did, the B started to boot and the typical "wall of code" started streaming down the black screen. It never completed the boot process though and got hung up. I have a picture of the screen when it stopped. The last line was:

Code: Select all

[23.021042] fbtft_device:      fb_hx8357d spi0.0    32000kHz   8 bits mode=0x00 

adafruit_support_mike

That's normal.. that device is the PiTFT display driver, and output generally switches over to the PiTFT once that comes online.

Taking a step back to check the hardware, does the RasPi boot and the PiTFT work if you install PiTFT support using the easy-install instructions from the PiTFT tutorial?

spork99

Post by spork99 »

Taking a step back to check the hardware, does the RasPi boot and the PiTFT work if you install PiTFT support using the easy-install instructions from the PiTFT tutorial?
Yes. The R-Pi B+ that I bought for the project boots and functions as I'd expect with the PiTFT using the easy-install instructions. I only get the white screen using the SD card with the PipBoy IMG on it.

pixil3d

Post by pixil3d »

Hello there,

Not exactly sure what the issue is with the pre-built img or how to fix it. I don't currently have the project setup anymore (for testing) as I've since repurposed the components for other projects.

I suggest burning the pre-built img for the PiTFT and getting that working first. Then, install the pipboy python software on top. That's how I was able to get it working. There is a few minor settings that needs to be adjusted in the code in order for the graphics to scale up to the 320x480 resolution of the PiTFT.

My apologies for the late response.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”