Received Two DOA Pi Zero W's

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
drmcbrayer89

Received Two DOA Pi Zero W's

Post by drmcbrayer89 »

Hello all,

I received two DOA Pi Zero W's from an order I placed last week. I ran through the troubleshooting both on the site, and from my own knowledge, and have came to the conclusion that they must have been damaged during shipping or simply got a bad batch coming through. How can I proceed with replacement of the boards? I have my invoice # and can provide pictures if needed.

Thanks,

Derek Ryan

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Received Two DOA Pi Zero W's

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Please post photos of the two damaged boards.
and from my own knowledge, and have came to the conclusion that they must have been damaged during shipping
What do you mean by this? Can you provide more detail.

drmcbrayer89

Post by drmcbrayer89 »

I will post up pictures this evening when I get home.

What I've tried:
  • The guide on the adafruit site regarding connecting the boards to a desktop PC - failed

Next thing I tried is using another verified working power supply, currently powering my other Pi Zero W, no good.

Lastly, just as a shot in the dark, I did a dd copy of my verified working SD card, still no good. Both boards same result.
Thanks for your time.

adafruit_support_carter

The guide on the adafruit site regarding connecting the boards to a desktop PC - failed
This could be a bad USB cable, but what does 'failed' mean? What exactly happened?
Next thing I tried is using another verified working power supply, currently powering my other Pi Zero W, no good.
Without a good SD card and OS image, this wouldn't really work. Even with good power, it would still appear dead.
Lastly, just as a shot in the dark, I did a dd copy of my verified working SD card, still no good. Both boards same result.
For troubleshooting, best to just start with fresh copy of OS image file from here. Is dd how you've prepared your other SD cards?

drmcbrayer89

Post by drmcbrayer89 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
The guide on the adafruit site regarding connecting the boards to a desktop PC - failed
This could be a bad USB cable, but what does 'failed' mean? What exactly happened?
Without a good SD card and OS image, this wouldn't really work. Even with good power, it would still appear dead.
For troubleshooting, best to just start with fresh copy of OS image file from here. Is dd how you've prepared your other SD cards?
1. The USB cable is verified working on another board. Windows / Ubuntu did not detect the board as a connected device.
2 & 3. I tried the pre-imaged SD cards with NOOBS straight out of the package before trying my other confirmed memory card. I then kept the memory cards consistent while trying all three power supplies (two from the bundle I purchased with the boards, one that I knew worked) before swapping a different SD card in. Also, yes, dd is what I have used almost exclusively for writing images to the SD cards.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but my background is in Electrical Engineering. Specifically embedded systems. I understand that the appeal of these products spreads across a very wide spectrum of individuals. I'll get the pictures uploaded this evening. Please trust that I have done everything required to deem these DOA. It inconveniences me to have to go through this process in the first place.

Thanks,

Ryan

adafruit_support_carter

Is this 2 of 2 dead boards? Or 2 of more? If you think the shipping damage was related to how we packaged it, please provide details. We should look into it.
1. The USB cable is verified working on another board. Windows / Ubuntu did not detect the board as a connected device.
OK.
2 & 3. I tried the pre-imaged SD cards with NOOBS straight out of the package
Those pre-installed NOOBS cards have unfortunately been an issue:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=113576#p568501
and I really recommend just using the straight Raspbian image (not NOOBS) for troubleshooting. Esp. on the Zero / Zero W.

drmcbrayer89

Post by drmcbrayer89 »

2/2 for the order. All together I have ordered somewhere in the ballpark of 15-20 between here and Amazon, and these are the only two. The packaging I received was a shipping envelope, and the boards were both sandwiched back to back between the power supplies. I have a sneaking suspicion that they were crushed during shipping, but can't be sure.

I'll keep the thought about the pre-installed NOOBs cards in mind, but I think this is kind of a wash because of using another verified working card.

I appreciate the quick replies. How is the replacement process handled? I'm in sort of a time crunch.

adafruit_support_carter

How is the replacement process handled? I'm in sort of a time crunch.
I authorize (which I haven't yet), then others will take care of you.

When you get to taking the photos, if the damage is anything observable, see if you can capture it. I will pass on info about shipping packaging.

drmcbrayer89

Post by drmcbrayer89 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
How is the replacement process handled? I'm in sort of a time crunch.
I authorize (which I haven't yet), then others will take care of you.

When you get to taking the photos, if the damage is anything observable, see if you can capture it. I will pass on info about shipping packaging.

The only thing I noticed visibly wrong with the boards is the camera connector on one of the boards is missing the black section of the port.

drmcbrayer89

Post by drmcbrayer89 »

Pictures for you:

adafruit_support_carter

csi.jpg
csi.jpg (26.63 KiB) Viewed 327 times
That's no good. Did you find the part in the shipping envelope by any chance?

Email [email protected] with a link to this thread and they can get you two replacement Pi Zero W's.

drmcbrayer89

Post by drmcbrayer89 »

The black piece fell out of the bag when I opened it, actually haha. I went into the situation assuming the worst case and it definitely came to fruition. I'll send out an e-mail immediately. Do I need to ship these back before the replacements get sent?

adafruit_support_carter

Do I need to ship these back before the replacements get sent?
Don't think so, but support will let you know that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”