Raspberry pi zero w not booting.

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
techie84

Raspberry pi zero w not booting.

Post by techie84 »

I recently bought a pi zero w and upon testing it there was no booting up or any response. So i checked other peoples forums post and tried just connecting the USB up to my laptop to see if the computer would pick it up but it did not. I had loaded Retro-pie onto the SD card and made sure i had the right files on it. It seems to me this is just a defective board. But please any suggestions on what i haven't tried or did wrong. Please help I have been trying to do a project with this but i am stuck without this board or a possible replacement.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (741.82 KiB) Viewed 199 times

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Raspberry pi zero w not booting.

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Looks like you are doing the sanity test check correctly. Here's the general process:
https://learn.adafruit.com/raspberry-pi ... -zero-dead
The other thing to try would be different USB cables and USB ports.
I had loaded Retro-pie onto the SD card and made sure i had the right files on it.
Could be an out of date image, bad image, or even bad SD card. For testing purposes, best thing is to try using the latest Raspbian Lite image from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

techie84

Post by techie84 »

I have tried 5 different USB wires trying to see if it would work but no luck. I have tried all that i know to do. I also just got another pi zero but not the Pi zero W but the first Gen. It arrived on yesterday and i have used the regular Pi zero many times before with no issues at all. But again another one that does not work. I am curious why your company mails these boards in a flimsy plastic bubble envelope when all other retailers that sell your boards that i have purchased from mail them in a small cardboard box and all of the ones I have received worked perfectly. Do i need to start another forum post for the other Pi zero i received yesterday.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Keep in mind that the Zero W requires newer version of the OS than the original Zero. This has tripped some people up who've tried moving a working SD card from a Zero to a Zero W, and it wouldn't work. Just mentioning this as it sound like you are working with both models.

So at this point you are having issues with a Zero W and an original Zero, from two separate orders? Were both received in the bubble envelopes?

Please post photos of the non-functioning boards. If there is any noticeable damage, please point it out.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”