Dear Ladyada
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Dear Ladyada

by youbob_86 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:49 am

Greetings, and hello to every one here.
This is my First posting on this forum. I discover this forum and the adafruit site base on an article in 2600 The Hacker Quarterly Magazine books, and my interest was looming over the Wave bubble Cell phone jammier hack. This project I will proceed in the near future; when ever my resources at home increase(as in money and time).

so I want to talk about my self, and make a good point about this site. First off The founder of these projects( Ladyada), you have done a good job into building, and forming a good web site of information, that has inspired me to want to build them my self. But I'm a huge noobie. I need to know and learn the basics of electronics, in order to grasp the fundamental, and functionally of what I'm building; in order to conduct my very on research, and start of my very own projects. So a little about my self and goals I attend to accomplish in the next few years.
I'm about 22 years old going on 23 this September I live in Washington state near the Seattle area. I love to shoot, and there is plenty of land to shoot up in. Currently I'm working in retail as an checker; basically I'm the guy who processes your order, and then charge your bill. My mom is going into Computer or Mechanical Engineer. She hopes to work for NASA, in the space program. My mom is already 52 years old with a degree in general Science.
My own personal goal is to become an computer or Electronic engineer my self, and I do know the a general requirement of what it takes to achieve this goal. Where to go to college is also in had, but is not where I'm coming form in my big question towards this forum members and founder.

So where do I start in Electronics? I know people here could just say get your butt back in school But I don't want to hear that, because I all ready know that. What can I do as a hobbyist? Where did you miss Lady start at before college?
As I learning C++ any good books that will tech about the how to program into the hardware area of an computer(as in Kernel and firmware)?

What information can you provide to a newbie in the areas of electronics, programming, and maybe some educational advice.
In this post I want to pick your brain.
Peace... :wink:
Bob's your uncle
youbob_86

Re: Dear Ladyada

by John_NY on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 am

Hi and welcome! I am also getting reacquainted with electronics, and there are a lot of good places to start. There are some suggestions in a few threads -- search the forums for "beginner", "starting", "help", and "noob" and there are a few threads.
Below I've listed two threads that might help -- the first has a lot of suggestions, the second, I've posted a link to a few posts that looked relevant or interesting.

"Hi I am a beginner"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11902

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12036&p=57816#p57816
viewtopic.php?p=57613#p57613

I found the ARRL (amateur radio relay league) has some good course materials (I like their sample lessons). A few folks also suggest "Forrest Mimms" books for electronics beginners -- I've never tried them so I don't know much about them.
viewtopic.php?p=56877#p56877
viewtopic.php?p=56920#p56920

"MIT Open Course Ware" is also a good place to look if you want to try out some coursework -- they have a course for beginners:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Special-Progr ... /index.htm
and since these courses are a free service of MIT, it's free.

My own textbook was "Introductory Electronics For Scientist and Engineers" by Robert E. Simpson (1987), which has a lot of circuit diagrams and laboratory experiments (some of which require a function generator and an oscilloscope). The cheapest way to get access to these tools is possibly a lab course at a college or maybe an amateur radio swap meet or license course.

-John
John_NY

by youbob_86 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:53 pm

Thanks! And any idea on how to make a FM transmitter for the Ipod nano? lol I sure try to do it my self, but surly some one has done it all ready.

I should say, one of my first projects was to build an small FM Transmitter. And I was seccessful in doing that. It was only about 10mw but transmitted about 30 feet.
Bob's your uncle
youbob_86

by franklin97355 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:13 pm

So, connect the audio from your nano to the transmitter and there you go.

franklin97355

by youbob_86 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:20 am

franklin97355 wrote:So, connect the audio from your nano to the transmitter and there you go.

Once I build another one I might try that out. However, I want to build one that connects in the main USB data post, and that's going to take some skills. :mrgreen:
Bob's your uncle
youbob_86

by TomasReabe on Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:43 pm

youbob_86 wrote:
franklin97355 wrote:So, connect the audio from your nano to the transmitter and there you go.

Once I build another one I might try that out. However, I want to build one that connects in the main USB data post, and that's going to take some skills. :mrgreen:

This should work if you don't mind the size
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8295

and just look for the Ipod Pinout and that will tell you what goes where.
TomasReabe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.