Sculpture Project

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kbosch202

Sculpture Project

Post by kbosch202 »

I'm planning on making a lit vascular system to install into a life size figure that is casted in urethane resin/epoxy. I am sculpting a heart and brain that I'd like to attach light strips to in order to form a realistic vascular system.

Disciple

Re: Sculpture Project

Post by Disciple »

My projects have been smaller scale, but this sounds like a good fit for NeoPixel strips. They can be cut and wired in diverse arrangements, and an Arduino Uno can control a few hundred, the newer M0 boards can handle vastly more. Guides for powering and programming are in the Adafruit NeoPixel Überguide, and forum experts here are great trouble shooters.

I think you'll like these strips because their wiring is minimal, and they offer full color control over individual LEDs. An animated NeoPixel vascular system could simulate healthy flow, oxygen transport, blockages, pathogen spreading, immune response, the blood-brain barrier, placental transfer, hypertension, insulin response, chronic stress... all with a bit of creative programming. I, for one, would be interested in pictures of the project in progress, if that's possible. Best of success.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Sculpture Project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Good advice from Disciple. For more flexibility in your application, the "mini-skinny" version of the strips might be the best choice. These are available in various pixel densities.
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=skinny

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”