Source for flexible (silicone-jacketed?) ribbon cable?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Source for flexible (silicone-jacketed?) ribbon cable?

by timichango on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Heya, first post on the forums :) Hi everyone!

I'm building a project that will encapsulate both an arduino and a separate circuit built up on protoboard in a weatherproof housing, with a horizontally opening door. The arduino will be mounted inside the enclosure, and the protoboard will be mounted inside the door. I'd like to connect the protoboard to the arduino using a ribbon cable with header strips on either end, but need something flexible that will compress into the enclosure with minimal resistance, and that won't accidentally unplug the header pins from either board when the enclosure door is opened. I'm also working on a handful of other projects that'd benefit from a highly flexible ribbon connection.

I have a Tower-Pro hobby servo that has a very flexible 3-conductor multi-colored ribbon cable, and I'm wondering if there's an equivalent product that has more conductors (6,8,10,12 - any would be useful), and the same supple, flexible jacketing, which I believe to be silicone, and which can be purchased by the foot. I'm hoping to find something Rainbow colored, but that's not strictly necessary.

I've prodded google a fair bit, but haven't found what I'm looking for, and as I'm just getting into electronics as a hobby, I'm not sure where else to look :(

Thanks in advance for any pointers in the right direction!
timichango

Re: Source for flexible (silicone-jacketed?) ribbon cable?

by adafruit on Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am

i know exactly what you want, but ive never seen it in a ribbon, just individual wires. it seems like its often used for HV stuff like neon tubes cuz it can insulate to 5000V or something ridiculous

adafruit

by Thrymr on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:05 pm

How about 40-connector? Flexible IDE cables are fairly cheap and available.

I haven't used this particular one, but I've had something similar in my PC tower for years:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812104031

May be overkill for what you want, though.
Thrymr

by franklin97355 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:39 pm

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.