LCD to HDMI product

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pinkinkandchaos

LCD to HDMI product

Post by pinkinkandchaos »

I'm looking for a product that I don't believe exists. Most every product I see is a driver board for turning an LCD into a monitor but I am looking to do the opposite. I have an LCD RGB888 input signal that I need to convert to an HDMI output signal. Is there a product or a schematic to do this? Any help is appreciated.

-Geoff

adafruit_support_mike

Re: LCD to HDMI product

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't know if anything like that exists, but if it does, we don't carry it.

The best option I can think of would be to use a RasPi to decode the LCD signal and draw the raster to its standard framebuffer. That would do the HDMI transcoding as kind of a side effect.

pinkinkandchaos

Thanks for the response. I've been thinking about that option for a while now and was beginning to plan using the RasPi essentially as a shield for this project (and possibly more). Found a good starting place with someone using the RasPi as an Arduino shield. Will post more as I progress through this project.

-Geoff

adafruit_support_mike

If you can find a straight LCD driver that works under Raspbian, you can also use the `fbcp` utility.. it brute-force copies the output from framebuffer to another.

We use it to get things that require GPU acceleration (retrogame emulators) to work on a PiTFT, but you can probably make it work the other way too:

https://learn.adafruit.com/running-open ... -displays/

pinkinkandchaos

Just an update: Took a side route on this project to work with a Gert VGA 666 and use the passive adapter to convert the signal to VGA (I'll have a couple unused signals from the RGB888 signal) for testing the output signal. Ultimately my goal will be to convert the digital signal via code through the GPIO inputs on the RasPi but I will also be working on expanding the resistor ladder on the passive adapter to be 888. Will continue to update as I progress.

-Geoff

adafruit_support_mike

Good luck!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”