Programming Atmega16A with usbtinyISP
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Programming Atmega16A with usbtinyISP

by shmolky on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey! So I'm trying to make one of the multiplexed led cubes I found on instructables, but all my experience is with arduinos and not actually getting dirty with AVRs. Unfortunately, I need more pins than an Atmega168 has which is where the Atmega16 comes in... and I'm trying to program it using AVRdude and the usbtinyISP and some pre-written and pre-tested code from the instructable. I worked through the AVR tutorial, but at the end I'm still getting the RC=1 error.

I'm 99% sure (based on what I know) that my wiring is correct. My usbtinyISP programmer works with my arduino (so I think my cables are in the right spots) and I use the red end of the flat cable to identify which end of the 6 pin cable has my number 1 and then I just matched the pins from the Atmega16 (from a data sheet) to the 6 pins on ISP.

The code I'm using in avrdude is:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m16 -U flash:w:4x4x4.tmp

I'm not sure if the file type could be a problem - it says it's .hex on the instructable http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Cube-4x4x4/, but when it downloads it's f6JRI6AFJ1I6CP0.tmp (for reference, I changed the name of the file to make it easier to remember, so instead of writing f6JRI6AFJ1I6CP0.tmp in the code above i used the 4x4x4.tmp)

shmolky

Re: Programming Atmega16A with usbtinyISP

by dmcole on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:19 pm

Why don't you change the extension to .hex?

\dmc
---------------------------
The only thing more dangerous than a software engineer with a soldering iron or a hardware engineer with a compiler is a liberal-arts major with either. http://www.dmcole.net/
dmcole

by shmolky on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:05 pm

That would be far too easy :p.
I tried it with no luck :/.

shmolky

by shmolky on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:38 pm

I doubt anyone else will have this problem - but the 10 pin connector seems to have done the trick. I read somewhere that having the pins grounded keeps things more stable and i guess that was all it needed.

shmolky

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.