๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Buttons
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Buttons

by kotchi on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 pm

First i would like to add that i am really new to all this, so bear with me.

I'm having trouble with some buttons.
I understand how the tact switch that comes with the arduino works. It switches beetwen grounded (G) and 5 volv (V), deciding wich one will be connected to the digital I/O.
Now i'm building a small project where i'm planning on using larger buttons than small tact switches.

The one i have looks like this.
With only 2 legs, opens when pushed, closed otherwise. Now the problem i have is that i can only connect it to either G or V because one leg always needs to go to the I/O.

Now i tried connecting one to V and the other one to I/O but i can never get any good HIGH or LOW readings. Sometimes i can push it once and it switches between HIGH and LOW, but wont work the second time i push it. Or it just switches between HIGH/LOW like crazy.

Is there a way to get a good read from these kind of switches or am i using it wrong, or is there some other kind of button more suitable for this kind of work.

Any help would be appreciated.
kotchi

Re: Buttons

by len17 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:18 am

You need to use a pull-up or pull-down resistor so that the input pin isn't left "floating" when the switch is open.

The Arduino conveniently has a built-in pull-up resistor for each input pin, but you have to add a line of code to turn it on. Then you can connect the switch from the input pin to ground. Here's a sketch that shows how it works:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
#define pinInSwitch 5

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(57600);
  pinMode(pinInSwitch, INPUT);
  digitalWrite(pinInSwitch, HIGH); // turn on pull-up resistor
}

void loop()
{
  if (digitalRead(pinInSwitch) == LOW) {
    Serial.println("LOW");
  } else {
    Serial.println("HIGH");
  }
}

len17

by kotchi on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:09 am

Thanks, now its working.
kotchi

by adafruit on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:46 pm

adafruit

by kotchi on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 am

Yeah, i read that one and understood how it worked with a tact switch. But i couldnt get a button with only two legs to work and needed that one line to turn on the pull up resistor (digitalWrite(pinInSwitch, HIGH);).

I have run into another problem now, so i thought i should place it in the same topic since its the same project.

I'm trying to print something on my lcd. The word 'arming' to be precise. I got the printing part down, even made a timer so far. The problem is this:
I can write;
lcd.print("ARMIN");
and it will print it, and everything else will show. But if i try to spell the entire word:
lcd.print("ARMING");
The lcd wont print anything, or it will show random characters/signs. But the rest of the code runs. Buzzer/light etc.

And i am pulling my hair out because i just cant understand why it wont work.
I've tried printing other words and it seems the limit of characters is 5. But i have printed longer words/sentences before that.
kotchi

by kotchi on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:00 am

Yeah, i read that one and understood how it worked with a tact switch. But i couldnt get a button with only two legs to work and needed that one line to turn on the pull up resistor (digitalWrite(pinInSwitch, HIGH);).

I have run into another problem now, so i thought i should place it in the same topic since its the same project.

I'm trying to print something on my lcd. The word 'arming' to be precise. I got the printing part down, even made a timer so far. The problem is this:
I can write;
lcd.print("ARMIN");

and it will print it, and everything else will show. But if i try to spell the entire word:
lcd.print("ARMING");

The lcd wont print anything, or it will show random characters/signs. But the rest of the code runs. Buzzer/light etc.

And i am pulling my hair out because i just cant understand why it wont work.
I've tried printing other words and it seems the limit of characters is 5. But i have printed longer words/sentences before that.
kotchi

by kotchi on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:06 am

Made some progress, it seems that it works if i enter a longer sentence. Could there be a reason for this? Is there like a minimum or maximum amount of characters?
If i write a word between 6-10 characters it doesnt work. But i can write say "ODA-903" and it works. It just feels completely random.
kotchi

by mtbf0 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:51 am

well that's just plain bizarre. can we see the code with a little context.

or you could hyphenate "arm-ing."
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by mike31416 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:04 am

Memory corruption?

mike31416

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.