Bulk connectors
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bulk connectors

by rizla420 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:03 pm

Hey Guys,

Can you give me some tips/hints at some good bulk connectors. I have a lot of interconnections with my project and i'd like to use some sort of cable with muliple pins to consolidate the interconnections. A cable and socket all pretty much do the same thing right? Pass a signal. Its just the termination and twists vary from standard to standard right?

For example, could i use an old Parallel ATA ribbon cable and find the appropriate connector socket and have multiple buttons passing their signals through that and then at the termination point have it go back to my breadboard which then goes to the arduino?

Do you guys have some particular 6,8,10,12,20,etc ribbons or something you like to use?

rizla420

Re: Bulk connectors

by zener on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:35 pm

D-subs are often the best choice. Readily available. DB-9 and DB-25 are especially common. If you want to use ribbon cable exclusively, there are IDC type D-subs. But you might also want to use standard IDC box header type connectors which come in 2x configuration.

zener

by hinermad on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:31 pm

For smaller numbers of conductors, modular jacks and plugs (think telephone or Ethernet cords) are inexpensive and the plug parts can be found just about anywhere. Jacks, especially PC board mounted ones, you might have to mail order.

Bear in mind though that connectors can be a weak link in any design, and inexpensive connectors even more so. Give a little thought to what your system will do if a connection goes intermittent.

Dave

hinermad

by rizla420 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:35 pm

Hinermad wrote:For smaller numbers of conductors, modular jacks and plugs (think telephone or Ethernet cords) are inexpensive and the plug parts can be found just about anywhere. Jacks, especially PC board mounted ones, you might have to mail order.

Bear in mind though that connectors can be a weak link in any design, and inexpensive connectors even more so. Give a little thought to what your system will do if a connection goes intermittent.

Dave

I hear you, i dont want to introduce more noise into the system. I have to create this in a modular format so that I can disconnect certain parts when i move it, becuase as a whole its too wide to have everything soldered properly into place, so i need something that can stay fixed and provide a solid connection.

I've been looking at this: http://www.allspectrum.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=579&osCsid=6243f5c802cb4d2542014ac876d1493c

that looks like it should be solid if i can find a good corresponding IDC socket for it. Still looking around.

rizla420

by rizla420 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:17 pm

i found some RJ45 headers along with a custom little pcb that they have for it that I think would work great with a straight through network cable.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=643

breakout board: http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=716

rizla420

by hinermad on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:35 pm

rizla420 wrote:I've been looking at this:
http://www.allspectrum.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=579&osCsid=6243f5c802cb4d2542014ac876d1493c

that looks like it should be solid if i can find a good corresponding IDC socket for it. Still looking around.

It's customary to use ribbons like that to connect to board-mounted headers like this:
http://www.allspectrum.com/store/index.php?cPath=82_140&osCsid=6243f5c802cb4d2542014ac876d1493c

You can get IDC pin-row headers that clamp to a ribbon just like the sockets on the cable you found, but unless you have an overriding reason for having ribbon on both sides of the connector it mostly just adds more potential failure points. It's more common to solder pin-row headers to the PC board and use ribbons to connect between them.

Bear in mind too that even though this header is 16x2 pins, you can trim them down to shorter lengths with a small wire cutter or knife. The body is usually a fairly soft plastic. Or you can leave them long and use the extra pins for test points.

Dave

hinermad

by rizla420 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:28 pm

Hinermad wrote:
rizla420 wrote:I've been looking at this:
http://www.allspectrum.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=579&osCsid=6243f5c802cb4d2542014ac876d1493c

It's customary to use ribbons like that to connect to board-mounted headers like this:
http://www.allspectrum.com/store/index.php?cPath=82_140&osCsid=6243f5c802cb4d2542014ac876d1493c

You can get IDC pin-row headers that clamp to a ribbon just like the sockets on the cable you found, but unless you have an overriding reason for having ribbon on both sides of the connector it mostly just adds more potential failure points. It's more common to solder pin-row headers to the PC board and use ribbons to connect between them.

Bear in mind too that even though this header is 16x2 pins, you can trim them down to shorter lengths with a small wire cutter or knife. The body is usually a fairly soft plastic. Or you can leave them long and use the extra pins for test points.

Dave

Thanks for the advice, i think i'll take it up rather than having to use the RJ45 with straight through cabling (doesnt seem to be the right purpose for twisted pair cabling).

rizla420

by richms on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 pm

Ribbons have no strain relief on them and are very easy to get erratic connections on them. Remember all the problems with IDE drives and cables going dodgey from swapping drives often?

They are ok within an enclosure but no good for use between seperate units.

Also there is crosstalk between cables. If you are goign to use it, I would make every second wire a ground. Thats easily done by grounding a whole row of the 2 sided pin strip. Although in saying that they did get the IDE standard up to 16MHz without too much crosstalk between them so you will probably be ok, that was over short distances however.

If its for external connections to a box, I would be looking at centronics plugs, they are robust, easily soldered to, locking, and if you have a computer surplus place near you you will probably find a buttload of old printer/scsi cables for near nothing that you can hack up and use.

richms

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.