LiPo Battery Safety

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
travistrue2008

LiPo Battery Safety

Post by travistrue2008 »

I'm making my own portable handheld emulator/console to sell at the local swap meet (no pre-installed games). The device would be powered by a 3.7v 1200mah LiPo battery, and will use the PowerBoost 500C+ to provide power to the Pi Zero, and recharge the battery. The enclosure is going to be 3D printed, and reinforced with a resin coat. The Pi will have a heat sink, and air vents for airflow. Are there any safety guidelines I should apply to the product's design?

I know LiPos can be dangerous if over-charged, under-charged, if their casing gets damaged, etc. The fact that damaging the casing could cause an explosion seems dangerous-enough to me, yet phones take all kinds of abuse and there are rarely stories about their batteries exploding.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LiPo Battery Safety

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The PowerBoost charge circuit uses a conservative charge rate that should ensure a safe charge cycle. Assuming that you are using a cell from our store, the discharge rate will be limited by the protection circuit in the battery.

Your enclosure should shield the battery from external impacts. Just make sure that it is secured on the inside and protected from contact with any internal components or interior features of the enclosure.

travistrue2008

Post by travistrue2008 »

I'm also using Adafruit LiPos along with the PowerBoost, so that gives me some peace of mind. Thanks! The battery is designed to be held between the controller PCB and the Pi Zero, but away from both boards so they don't make contact.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Sounds like a safe build then :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”