Multiple 0.8" 8x16 LED Matrices
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Multiple 0.8" 8x16 LED Matrices

by seangriffiths on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm

I would like to create a matrix display using multiple 0.8" 8x16 LED Matrix FeatherWings. I understand it is possible to address 8 units, but there doesnt seem to an off-the-shelf option that utilises this. While I could wire up 8 separate featherwings, they wouldnt be seemless due to the margin of the PCBs.

Has anyone had a go at develping a single pcb solution?

I have attempted, but it seems to be a bit beyond my abilities. I have had some boards printed but they dont seem to be working as expected. Im happy to share my eaglecad file if someone is interested in picking up where i left. Ill keep working on it in the meantime.

seangriffiths

Re: Multiple 0.8" 8x16 LED Matrices

by seangriffiths on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:09 am

.brd file attached...
Attachments
DisplayBoardMultipleRev1.zip
Multiple Matrix [eagleCad .brd file]
(56.61 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

seangriffiths

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:08 am

Your life will be much easier if you start with a schematic instead of trying to route the board directly.

The schematic is where you define all the signals and their connections, without any concern for the physical layout. Eagle will carry that information over to the board using what are called 'airwires'. Those indicate connections that need to be made. The traces you route on the board replace the airwires with physical connections.

Doing things that way lets the computer keep track of all the interconnections, which is really hard to do mentally when a layout gets complex. It also gives you the option to use Electrical Rule Checks (ERC) to make sure there are no gaps you missed, nothing overlaps, and so on.

adafruit_support_mike

by seangriffiths on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks Mike.
I had modified a standard adafruit led matrix backpack schematic. But once i had one working, i wasn't sure how to dupicate the schematic, only the pcb traces, etc.

Ill have to do a bit more eaglecad (self)training i think. I Probably may have bit off a bit much for my first pcb design...

Sean

seangriffiths

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 am

Try designing some simple circuits (voltage dividers are fine) in the schematic editor, then moving over to the board editor to do the routing. You should be able to pick up the workflow pretty easily.

One tip: entering 'rat' in the command bad forces the board editor to recalculate all the connections and redraw the airwires. You'll want to do that a lot as you move things around.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.