Adafruit TPL5110 Reset Enable Timer

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwduff

Adafruit TPL5110 Reset Enable Timer

Post by dwduff »

Hi,

I'm attempting to breadboard a very simple project incorporating the Adafruit TPL5110 Reset Enable Timer to drive periodic on/off for a small 3V-5V air pump assuming I could achieve a variable duty cycle via on board trim pot of TPL5110. No matter how I seem to wire the pump through the TPL5110 timer board with my 3V/5V Vdd, I cannot get the timer function to work. Just 2 components: the air pump and the TPL5110.

Do I need a separate driver board between the pump and the TPL5110? From reading the manual, I was under impression the TPL5110 could work as a simple on/off with variable timing to drive my small air pump. The descriptions in the manual mainly refer to the TPL5111, but the following description for the TPL5110 seemed just what I needed:

"TPL5110 is best when you are able to 'break' the power input line
to place the TPL5110 between the power supply and Vin." ....from top of page 4 of manual.

What am I missing?

dwd

Franklin97355

Re: Adafruit TPL5110 Reset Enable Timer

Post by Franklin97355 »

Could you post large, clear, detailed pictures of both sides of your board and the connections to it? Pictures should be less than 1meg in size.

dwduff

Post by dwduff »

reset config
reset config
IMG_1084.JPG (163.11 KiB) Viewed 818 times
pulse mode config
pulse mode config
IMG_1083.JPG (190.5 KiB) Viewed 818 times
here are pics of my setup. I can only get one pulse frequency out of this setup when I tie output to pump to the DRV pin on breakout (i.e., turning trim pot has no change to on/off duration).

I have to power cycle output Vdd to air pump with Delay pin to invoke the pulse mode, but then must move air pump Vdd to DRV pin on breakout. Then I get only ~250ms pulses only regardless of where I turn the trim pot.

dwd

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The TPL5110 only reads the trimpot for the first 100ms after you connect power to it. After that, it sets that pin to an input and uses the pot as a pull-down resistor for an input button.

If you want to change the duty cycle, you have to disconnect power, adjust the pot, and reconnect power.

dwduff

Post by dwduff »

thx mike.

do i have it wired correctly?

adafruit_support_mike

The connections in the photo above look okay, yeah.

dwduff

Post by dwduff »

OK; did disconnect power, adjust trip pot all way clockwise to get longest delay: still duty cycle of ~250ms.

If I turn pot all the way counterclockwise, I get a 100% on or imperceptible delay. This apparent 100% duty cycle is maintained through ~3/4 of clockwise range (power cycling with each 1/4 turn and testing). At about 3/4 of the way to clockwise limit, I get the 250ms pulse which it maintains through the rest of the clockwise range. Is as if the trip pot has only 2 resistor values...

And I tried a second TPL5110: same result.

Question: when these TPL5110 timers are tested, are they simply driving a LED light or other very low current device? Has anyone incorporated or tested this timer with a true mechanical device like my small pump?

adafruit_support_mike

People have used the breakout for all sorts of things.

The TPL5110 itself is just about strong enough to light an LED. On the breakout, it controls a DMG3415 P-mosfet capable of driving up to 4A loads from a 4.5v supply.

The TPL5111 doesn't have that power mosfet. it only produces a high/low logic signal, about strong enough for an LED.

Gje0708

Post by Gje0708 »

Hello! I am but a poor dumb S.O.B. I need help wiring up a 3-5 volt micro air pump and 3.7v battery to a Adafruit TPL5110 Low Power Timer .sites anybody have the goodness in there heart to post a picture of a wired micro component and outer source or a wiring diagram? If I want the micro air pump to turn on for 30 seconds every hour or every 2 hours........how? Thanks!!

adafruit_support_mike

You'll need something more than just the TPL5110 breakout.

The breakout will turn the power on once per hour. All you have to do there is connect the load to the DRV and GND pins.

By itself, the breakout will leave power connected for 59 minutes, 59 seconds, and 950ms of the hour. It will only disconnect power for 50ms before turning the power on again.

To make the breakout shut off power after 30 seconds, you need another timer. That could be a small microcontroller like a Trinket, or a something more basic like a 555 timer circuit. No matter what you use, you'll want to generate a pulse that goes high at 30 seconds to tell the TPL5110 to shut off power and wait until the beginning of the next counting period (59 minutes and 30 seconds later).

Gje0708

Post by Gje0708 »

Mike, your a badass. Go ahead and give yourself a little raise, I'll let the boss know your clear...tell me, I'm looking for the smallest timer possible that will give me on every hour or two for 30 seconds or so...If you've come across anything like that please give me a clue! Thanks for the quick response

adafruit_support_mike

A Trinket powered from the TPL5110 breakout would probably be the simplest option:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1500

The code for it would just be:

Code: Select all

void setup () {
    for ( int i=30 ; i ; i-- ) {
        delay( 1000 );
    }
    pinMode( 1, OUTPUT );
    digitalWrite( 1, LOW );
    digitalWrite( 1, HIGH );
    digitalWrite( 1, LOW );
}

void loop () {}
You could add more if you wanted to make the on-time adjustable with a potentiometer or something, but even that would be simple.

Connect the Trinket's BAT pin to the TPL5110's DRV pin, GND to GND, and GPIO 1 on the Trinket to DONE on the TPL5110.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”