Cost to calibrate an oscilloscope
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cost to calibrate an oscilloscope

by balefrost on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:01 pm

I am looking at buying a used oscilloscope (HP 54602B), but it's not in calibration. Does anybody have a ballpark estimate for how much it would cost to calibrate it, and whether it's even worth it to calibrate for small hobbyist projects?
balefrost

Re: Cost to calibrate an oscilloscope

by zener on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:20 pm

I wouldn't worry about calibration. Just make sure it is working!

zener

by hinermad on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Agreed, for hobby purposes a professional calibration isn't necessary. (It'll cost you $100 and up, plus shipping unless there's a shop nearby that'll do it.) If you think the vertical gain may be off you can check it with a battery or other DC source and a voltmeter; if you think the timebase is off you can check it with a known frequency signal like a crystal oscillator.

Where I work we had a number of test instruments marked "comparison measurements only" because they no longer received periodic calibration. At the hobby level that's what you'll mostly be doing is comparison measurements.

Dave

hinermad

by balefrost on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanks for the opinions.
balefrost

by evilroot on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:41 am

Generally speaking, you can usually get hold of the service manual and calibrate a scope yourself . . . . if you have a good signal generator. Its actually not that hard. That model is a mostly digital scope though, so you're probably good either way.

Also, be sure to try this out when you get it:
http://www.eeggs.com/items/4142.html

Its why I love HP scopes . . . . my physics professor in college nearly had a heart attack when he found me playing Tetris on the lab scope (and couldn't figure out how it was even remotely possible).
evilroot

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.