arduino boost supply
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

arduino boost supply

by mtbf0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:49 pm

hello, all,

i've been building rgb brain machines for a while, now, and in order to provide the voltage needed for the green and blue and in more recent iterations to power arduinos at 16MHz i've been using boost converters to increase the voltage from a couple of aa's. these things cost me about $10 per.

so, inspired by Jeroen Domburg and further encouraged by lady ada's ice tube i've been thinking it might be nice to let the arduino be it's own boost convertor. alas, i've no notion at all, what the math involved in selecting parts would look like.

my questions are will the arduino be able to start at 2.4 volts from a couple nimh aa's, what inductor should i use and what sort of transistor would be appropriate.

guess i can answer the first question myself.

but i've beem reading lady ada's design notes for the high voltage power supply in the ice tube and, as is usual with such endeavors, i think my eyeballs are starting to bleed. or maybe i'm just crying.

i don't know. have i asked a question yet?
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

Re: arduino boost supply

by adafruit on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:56 pm

adafruit

by mtbf0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:06 pm

oh, sh*t! thank you. you're an angel.
"i want to lead a dissipate existence, play scratchy records and enjoy my decline" - iggy pop, i need more
mtbf0

by mtbf0 on Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:03 pm

if this works i'll build a pair of bedazzler specs.

would a binaural beat help with that or is the effect strictly visual?

might not be bright enough, but persons prone to migraines have reported nausea just watching others try my brain machines.
mtbf0

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.