Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nejakay1

Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp

Post by nejakay1 »

Hi,
I just received my order for an Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB. However I'm concerned that there may be an issue with the 2W amp. I tested it by connecting first a 1 w 8 ohm speaker and then a 0.5 w ohm speaker to the amplifier (both right and left audio out channels). Even at the highest volume setting the sound (for both speakers was so low that it was difficult to hear).
(I verified the volume control worked by adjusting the sound up and down - so I know that is not the issue. I tested it with two different speakers to rule out an issue with the speaker itself. I also tested it using the sample audio files to rule out an issue with my .wav files.) I could purchase a 2.2 w 4 ohm speaker and test it with that, but I'm concerned that it may be an issue with the 2w embedded amp. Do you have any suggestions to try? If not can I exchange it for a different unit?
Thanks,
Nate

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What are you using as a power supply?

A single 8-ohm speaker operating at 2W would use 500mA, and at 1W it would use about 350mA. If you're using a USB power supply rated for 500mA, the limiting factor could be the amount of current available to drive the speakers.

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

I'm using a usb power supply but it is rated at 2.1 amps. Should I still try a different power supply? If the sound is really low with a 8 ohm 1 w speaker, would using a 4 ohm speaker make that much of a difference in volume?

adafruit_support_mike

A 4-ohm speaker will be louder than an 8-ohm speaker, yes. The amplifier will send more power through it.

Also make sure you're using a speaker rated for the 2W output power. The 1W and 0.5W speakers you mentioned above can't handle the FX Board's full output.

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

I'll try it with a higher watt speaker. However, I did turn the volume down, and when I did the sound just went from really low to really really low. If another speaker dosen't make a difference I guess I'll assume that it is an issue with the 2 w amp. In that case can I exchange it for another unit or get a return material authorization?
Thanks

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

I've tried everything I can think of and still can't get the Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board to output any sound above a 'whisper'. I'm assuming it must be a bad unit. Can I get a return shipping label and get a replacement unit?

adafruit_support_mike

We'll need to do some more debugging before I can authorize a replacement. There aren't many hardware failure modes that still produce audible output.

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections please. 800x600 images usually work best.

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

setup 1 of 2
setup 1 of 2
001.jpg (373.08 KiB) Viewed 377 times

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

setup 2 of 2
setup 2 of 2
002.jpg (320.89 KiB) Viewed 377 times

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

Please see the pictures of the set up shown above. I have not yet made any solder connections until I complete my testing. However I have rewired this several different ways to rule out any issues due to a loose connection.

adafruit_support_mike

Wrapped connections are highly unlikely to carry the kind of power a speaker will use. You might get basic contact, but not a reliable power connection.

See how the system behaves with soldered connections.

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

I'll go ahead and try a soldered connection. (Initially I didn't want to make a permanent change that might make the board non-exchangeable if it was really an issue with the board.) I'll let you know if the soldering makes a difference. Thanks.

adafruit_support_mike

No worries there.. we know you have to solder connections to the board to find out if they work or not. As long as the soldering isn't what caused the failure, we don't care.

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

soldered speaker connections
soldered speaker connections
setup.JPG (834.42 KiB) Viewed 299 times

nejakay1

Post by nejakay1 »

I soldered all speaker connections now. The other wires are only being used to trigger the sounds. Even after the soldered connections, I did not notice any increase in volume. Both speakers (the 1.0w and the 0.5w) still sound very quiet.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”