TPL5110 breakout problem

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tovap

TPL5110 breakout problem

Post by tovap »

Hi!

I am planning to use the TPL5110 breakout board to save power in my project. The breakout board works fine on its own when it is not powering anything, I can send the done signal from my MCU properly and it powers down and then up after the right time.

When using it to power my project I have run into some problems. If the cable to the done pin is connected the project doesn't restart on its own, and the LED on the breakout board sometimes starts blinking quickly. If I restart it manually by pushing the button on the breakout board it seems to works most of the time.

I'm quite new to this and very confused. Does anyone have any idea what I have done wrong?

I'm using a NodeMCU ESP82266 and I have tried hooking up the done pin to a few different of the GPIOs since I though there might be something happening there when it is starting up, but none of them have worked. I'm not sure if the problem is in the MCU or in the breakout board...

Thankful for any tips!

zener

Re: TPL5110 breakout problem

Post by zener »

A schematic would help us understand your connections, even if it is hand drawn. A schematic of the setup that works, and the setup that doesn't work. Then maybe we can come up with some ideas.

tovap

Post by tovap »

power_timer_scematic.jpg
power_timer_scematic.jpg (269.95 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
The top scematic shows what works (when the TLP5110 breakout board is not driving the MCU) and the bottom shows what doesn't work. I've tried a few different pins on the MCU since I though there might be something going on there in the startup process. I can make the second scematic work when I manually reset the TPL5110 board with the button, but when it tries to do it automatically the indication LED is just blinking fast instead of lighting up and the MCU does not power up.

zener

Post by zener »

What battery are you using? Remove the 47uF cap and see if it improves it at all. That cap puts a pretty big load on the battery at turn on. It could cause the thing to "doorbell" as you describe (light blinking). Or, alternately, you could use a power supply or larger battery.

tovap

Post by tovap »

I am using 4 AA NiMH batteries (2600mAh). I put the 47uF cap there after seeing the example with the ESP8266 Feather here:https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tpl ... kout/usage , before I used it I could not reset it manually either.

After learning how to change the SDA and SCL pins I could use the SCL pin (D1/GPIO5) for the done signal to the TPL breakout board and got it to work (if I remove the cap it doesn't though). Thanks for the help anyway!

tovap

Post by tovap »

After working fine for a few days the problem reoccured (when it should start to drive the project the TPL breakout board just blinks forever) for some reason... anyone having any idea why it behaves like this? (Still using the GPIO5 pin on the ESP, which worked before so that should not be the problem.)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

As a sanity check, try disconnecting the DONE signal and see if that has any effect on the startup problem.

Cubitux

Post by Cubitux »

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with TPL5110.

When feeded with more than 3volt from NiMh battery, it does a lot of blinking forever..
Also mine is part of a printed circuit that uses powerboost to get stable 5v from it..

It has worked.. but its not constant

Also I checked 3 times with breadboard, and re-do / reprinted circuit 3 times too.. and use probably 5 or 6 different TPL5110 (I fry some of them..)
There is definitly something weird with that breakout..

adafruit_support_mike

@Cubitux: Please start a new thread for your issue. Trying to debug more than one set of hardware in a thread is just asking for confusion.

Post a photo showing your hardware and connections. 800x600 images usually work best.

Cubitux

Post by Cubitux »

As requested, I opened the following thread : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=133167

fmarzocca

Post by fmarzocca »

I am having several troubles with my NodeMCU too. TPL doesn't start at power on, so I put a 100 µF capacitor on DRV. It now starts and shut off when DONE is high, but it doesn't switch on again. I have read that TPL5110 and NodeMCU is not a good pair. Is TPL compatible with NodeMCU board, or should I give up with it?

adafruit_support_mike

The firmware on a board powered through the TPL5110 shouldn’t have any effect on the TPL5110 itself.

The capacitor on DRV might be keeping that pin from going low, and DRV has to go low to turn on the mosfet that sends power to the load.

To force the TPL5110 to go active when power is connected, you need to wait about 100ms and then pull the DELAY pin low for a few milliseconds. It’s usually easier to connect power one counting interval before you want the system to start working.

fmarzocca

Post by fmarzocca »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:The firmware on a board powered through the TPL5110 shouldn’t have any effect on the TPL5110 itself.
To force the TPL5110 to go active when power is connected, you need to wait about 100ms and then pull the DELAY pin low for a few milliseconds. It’s usually easier to connect power one counting interval before you want the system to start working.

DELAY pin low?? Maybe you were meaning DELAY pin HIGH?

I have made more tests with an opto isolator, but it is the same. I discovered that the problem raises when my NodeMCU is connected to DRV. I can put whatever load on DRV, except a NodeMCU (which is draining just 80 mA). If I connect NodeMCU to DRV, the TPL starts blinking. There should be a way to decouple NodeMCU power from TPL power.

fmarzocca

Post by fmarzocca »

I can confirm the same schematic of @tovap and the same behavior, even without the capacitor.

By powering the second schematic (lower) TPL5110 starts blinking and NodeMCU is not working. By disconnecting the DRV from the circuit, TPL works fine, but if I reconnect it restarts blinking, without providing power to NodeMCU.

I came to the conclusion (after buying 3 TPL5110) that this timer is a cheat for use with NodeMCU. I hope I'm wrong-

fmarzocca

Post by fmarzocca »

I finally fixed it by installing a 2,200 µF capacitor between DRV and ground, to filter startup spikes!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”