New Pi 3B+ wont boot

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
blorpboop

New Pi 3B+ wont boot

Post by blorpboop »

Hi, I recently purchases the 3B+, and it continually fails to boot. When powered on, the red LED turns on but the device never boots. I am using the latest raspbian (2018-04-18 raspbian stretch) and have tried with two different sd cards, one overwritten with dd and one fresh. I did confirm that the sd cards successfully wrote a readable .img file using an older model pi-- although I know this only confirms that the sd cards are unlikely to be the issue. Additionally, I have tried with all peripherals removed and with HDMI/keyboard/etc connected at power-on. Nothing has worked so far. Are there any additional troubleshooting strategies you can recommend? Happy to post pictures if that is helpful.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: New Pi 3B+ wont boot

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What are you using as a power supply, and what voltages do you see on the 3.3V and 5V GPIO pins?

blorpboop

Post by blorpboop »

I'm using the 5V 2.4A Switching Power Supply with 20AWG MicroUSB that was sent with the product. I don't have a multimeter available but I can try to borrow one if you suggest that as a good course of action. What voltages would I want to see on those pins?

adafruit_support_mike

3.3V and 5V.

blorpboop

Post by blorpboop »

Right, that was a dumb question. The pins read as expected

adafruit_support_mike

Thanks. We can rule out most hardware CPU failures then.

It sounds like you've done all the standard troubleshooting, you're using the right OS image, and have confirmed that the image is at least written properly.

Send a note containing a link to this thead and your order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you a replacement Pi3B+

(#3775)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”