A BlueTooth Feather for simple PC -to- SPP Serial Comm?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
megablocks

A BlueTooth Feather for simple PC -to- SPP Serial Comm?

Post by megablocks »

I recently purchased a Feather M0 and quickly realized it was never going to work for simple communication to a PC.

I need a pre-assembled board like the Feather with a Classic BlueTooth radio so I can pair to a PC and receive data vis SPP serial comm port.

I have had zero luck with this and find it startling that after hours of searching I find no solutions for this.

Are there any Feathers which have BlueTooth classic (NOT BLE!!!) and can simple connect to a PC?

oesterle

Re: A BlueTooth Feather for simple PC -to- SPP Serial Comm?

Post by oesterle »

I assume you're talking about the Adafruit Feather M0 Bluefruit:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... l#overview

A few questions:
  • What's your use case?
  • Does your PC support Bluetooth LE?
  • How much data do you want to send to the PC?
  • Do you need bi-directional data, or just one way, from Feather to PC?
  • Does your connection need to be wireless?
Cheers,

Eric

megablocks

Post by megablocks »

• What's your use case? - This will be used to send sensor array data from a wearable biometric component.
  • Does your PC support Bluetooth LE? - Yes (but Bluetooth LE is not preferable).
  • How much data do you want to send to the PC? -I need the lowest latency possible for an update interval of ~8.3ms apart and data spans 14byes.
  • Do you need bi-directional data, or just one way, from Feather to PC? - Not at this moment, only trying to stream data into PC (as quickly and with lowest latency possible).
  • Does your connection need to be wireless? - Yes, but a wired option would be nice too
Thanks

megablocks

Post by megablocks »

bump

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't have any devices that do Bluetooth Classic. That protocol is generally unfriendly to hardware hackers because, among other things, it requires a vendor ID number that you can only get by paying the Bluetooth Working Group a licensing fee. It also locks devices into a specific profile which limits the kind of messages they can send and the way a computer can interact with them.

Aside from BLE, the other wireless interface that can easily talk to a computer is Wifi. We have multiple boards which use that, but nothing for a Feather 32u4 BLE.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”