help with compact pi3 camera & temp + thermal sensor

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
protobuild

help with compact pi3 camera & temp + thermal sensor

Post by protobuild »

Hi,

I am a total beginner using a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B to put together a couple of sensors with a camera. I would like to use a Pi NoIR Camera v2, AMG8833 thermal sensor and MCP9808 breakout board temperature sensor all together.

I was able to hook up the NoIR camera and MCP9808 sensor but now I am looking to make it as compact & permanent as possible so the whole thing is portable using a battery. I think I need something like this (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2310) to make it more compact, but I am not sure how it replaces a breadboard. It seems the breadboard is too big so this proto hat would be the next step. What parts do I need to make this happen?

Here is a picture of what I currently have. There are lots of wires going everywhere and a really big breadboard so that is a problem for portability.
Picture of current camera and temperature sensor setup.
Picture of current camera and temperature sensor setup.
IMG_0110.png (618.75 KiB) Viewed 228 times
I appreciate any advice!!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: help with compact pi3 camera & temp + thermal sensor

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The Perma-Proto uses exactly the same connection pattern as a breadboard: rows of five connected holes on either side of the gap, with VCC and GND rails running along the outer edges.

The Hat version also has a row of holes connected to the major signals on the RasPi's GPIO header. All you need to do is solder the MCP9808 into a set of holes, then use wire to solder in connections between its pins and the corresponding signals on the Hat.

protobuild

Post by protobuild »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:All you need to do is solder the MCP9808 into a set of holes, then use wire to solder in connections between its pins and the corresponding signals on the Hat.
Hi Mike, thanks for the explanation! For the wire you mentioned, do I use something like this? Hook-up Wire Spool Set - 22AWG Solid Core - 10 x 25ft

adafruit_support_mike

Yes, that will work. 22-gauge is a good size for breadboarding.

protobuild

Post by protobuild »

Ok thank you! I ordered that along with some new sensors. Here is everything I am trying to attach to the proto hat + raspberry pi.

Melexis Contact-less Infrared Sensor
Adafruit BME680 - Temperature, Humidity, Pressure and Gas Sensor
Adafruit AMG8833 IR Thermal Camera Breakout
5 Way Flame Sensor Module Digital Analog Output For arduino Raspberry pi
MCP9808 High Accuracy I2C Temperature Sensor Breakout Board
Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Board v2 - 8 Megapixels

When I run sudo i2cdetect -y 1, it prints a grid showing a lot of empty slots so I am thinking it should be okay to fit everything. I checked the power and it seems like all the sensors attached to the proto hat will need about 5mA total, with AMG8833 needing the most juice. Do I have to use things like resistor, transistor, etc. or an external power source? If I do, how do I do that? Sorry for all the questions!

adafruit_support_mike

No worries.. project is all about coming up with questions and finding answers to them.

It looks like the sensors you've chosen use multiple ways to communicate with the RasPi: I2C, SPI, and the dedicated camera connection. The best suggestion I can give you is to spend a couple of hours working with each device on its own to get familiar with it, then worry about making them work together.

All the devices you've chosen will take their power from the Perma-Proto's 5V or 3.3V power rails, which get their power from the RasPi's GPIO header. You're right that the total current should be fairly small, so the RasPi won't have any trouble powering them all.

protobuild

Post by protobuild »

Great! Thank you for your advice. I'll make sure revisit this thread or make a new one with the finished prototype in case anyone is interested in doing something similar.

Post by 9632128199 »

Dear Team,

I want to know about the product details of AMG8833 IR Thermal camera breakout.

1. Further, will it detect only the temperature released from human being or any other heat from other things????

2. For example, If the person stand near the thermal camera, ll it detect continues count or will it detect the count of 01???

3. ls it suit for outdoor purpose???

4. If two person entering simultaneously through the thermal camera will it show 2 images????

Regards,
M. Benazir kathija

SaaR Information Technology

P.O. Box: 98474, Dubai UAE

Mob: +971 55 7254099

Tel : +971 4 5541535

adafruit_support_mike

The AMG8833 is simply a thermal sensor. There's no physical property that makes heat from the human body different from heat generated by any other source.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”