MCP9808

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
timelake

MCP9808

Post by timelake »

Hi all.

I like the MCP9808 but I'm not sure if it's my best option.
I use an outdoor circuit that may heat-destruct when on too long.
So I want to attach a wireless sensor to indicate when it nears critical temp.
The outdoor circuit is in a 5" x 8" x 3" die cast aluminum weather sealed enclosure.
I'm looking for a wireless sensor to place inside that enclosure, next to the heat-prone device.
For the sensor's antenna, I plan to mount a feedthrough terminal on the cover and hang a length of wire.
And a mini s.panel/battery on the cover as well to feed dc to the sensor through two feedthroughs on the cover.
Wireless temp sets are online are appealing to me but I'm not sure if I can open their tx module and place it internally.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: MCP9808

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

For the requirements you've listed, almost any temperature sensor will work.

It sounds like you only need to measure a general temperature and trigger a shutdown if the temperature rises above a limiting value. That kind of limit doesn't need to be highly accurate or precise, since you don't want to run the rest of the circuit right up to the edge of the temperature that will kill it. The more safety margin you leave, the easier it is to build the system, and the more options you have for thermal sensors.

timelake

Re: MCP9808

Post by timelake »

Hi Mike. I appreciate your answer and I agree. I guess I'll try a cheap prefab set from Ebay then. tnx, Jorj

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”