Odd wireless question

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Davidlm613

Odd wireless question

Post by Davidlm613 »

Hi all, I've got a project I was considering but came across a conceptual problem. The project is converting an old medium format camera I got ages ago from my grandfather to use a digital sensor. What I would very much prefer is not to permanently alter the camera, I don't believe this will be an issue unless I include a screen to view the pictures on the camera. So, the question I've got is do you all have any products that would be suitable to communicate wirelessly from the interior of the camera to a screen such as the piTFT (which I love on the other projects I've used them on!)? I was also wondering if you carry any camera sensors, I saw the infrared one which I'll probably use for something else just because it's super cool but I'd prefer a standard image for this one.
Thanks for any info!
David

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Odd wireless question

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We don't have anything that would work at the original film plane.. a large, flat CCD instead of a large, flat sheet of light-sensitive chemicals. Those exist, but are insanely expensive.

You can use smaller camera modules, but you'll need to fit them into the existing camera's optical path. Instead of letting the focused image from the object lens expand until it's a few inches across, put the smaller camera module where it's only 1/4" across. You'll need a support and adjustment system that will hold the small camera where it needs to be, and still leaves you a few millimeters of adjustment in any direction.

Once you have that, the most effective way to transmit the data wirelessly would be with a Wifi connection. That's the fastest consumer-grade wireless protocol.

The ESP8266 can do 11Mbps data (802.11b), and the RasPi Zero-W can do up to about 280Mbps (802.11n).

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2821
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2471

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3400

Davidlm613

Re: Odd wireless question

Post by Davidlm613 »

Yeah, I was figuring that getting the focus worked out would probably be a pain. I'll have to dig the camera out and double check, but I was thinking that if the ground glass focus screen is removable I could fit a screen there and bypass having to work out the difference in focus between the two lenses. It would lose the wonderful experience of focusing on ground glass, but compromises I guess. And that would give more then enough space for a pi zerow which I was thinking about already. I'll check out the ESP8266 for sure, that'll be a new adventure! I was also thinking about getting the twin lens reflex kit you all have as a test run.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”