Ideas on how to mount battery to pole without screwing it?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WisconsinBadger414

Ideas on how to mount battery to pole without screwing it?

Post by WisconsinBadger414 »

I’m new here, but the Adafruit forums have helped me many many times in the past.

This isn’t inherently an electronics problem, but I’m sure it’s come into play in many of the projects people here have done, and I know everyone’s general resourcefulness here could help me!

I have a pre-made rechargeable battery (just a portable USB charger, about 4x3x1”). I need it to be sturdily mounded to a ~1” diameter pole, and I obviously can’t drill into it (but I can drill into the pole). Right now it’s just attached by wrapping duct tape around it and the pole many times. What would be a better way to do this? Maybe straps, what could I use for straps?

Franklin97355

Re: Ideas on how to mount battery to pole without screwing i

Post by Franklin97355 »

You could get a box that fits the battery and mount that to the pole then put the battery in the box.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Ideas on how to mount battery to pole without screwing i

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Is this temporary or permanent? For temporary installations, duct-tape or gaffer's tape are good choices. But the adhesives tend to degrade over time - especially if exposed to the elements. Shrink-wrap or large-diameter heat-shrink tubing tend to hold up better (and look better) over time

How much stress will the assembly be subjected to? For a static installation not subjected to much stress, there are a lot of options. If it needs to withstand some force, then you may need to consider physical protection of the battery pack as well as a physically secure attachment. Franklin's suggestion of a box screwed to the pole would offer both protection and security. Another secure mounting method for a round-pole would be pipe-clamps.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”