DMX/Data Recording and Playback for Neopixels?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tardistrekkie

DMX/Data Recording and Playback for Neopixels?

Post by tardistrekkie »

Hey all, I wanted to pose a question and see if any of you awesome folks can shed some light on it!

So I'm familiar with running Neopixels/WS2812 LEDs using lighting software (Vixen/Madrix) and having the DMX signal translated through a conversion board (in my case, an Advatek board) to the V+, GND, and Data pins on the neopixels. While super easy to get the lights up and running in cool patterns, there is no way for me to make it capable of standalone playback on a small scale.

I'm hoping to run a 24 neopixel ring off of a teensy/trinket/pi zero (really anything small would do... I wanted to make it wearable) and I was wondering if there is a way for me to "tap in" to the data output from my Advatek board, record the values being sent to the neopixels, and then save that data on a microSD card for playback?

If anyone has run across any examples of this, I'd love to see! I've spent the better part of a week scouring forums and google trying to find what I'm looking for without luck. And if you think I'm barking up the wrong tree and have a different idea, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: DMX/Data Recording and Playback for Neopixels?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Capturing the raw WS2812 data signals is probably possible. But not likely to be a trivial programming task. You might have better luck capturing the DMX stream going to the conversion board. There are a number of Arduino DMX libraries out there with support for WS2812 pixels. It probably would not be too difficult to divert the DMX stream to a file on an SD card for later replay.

http://mathertel.blogspot.com/2017/09/a ... e-for.html
http://www.mathertel.de/Arduino/DMXSerial.aspx

tardistrekkie

Re: DMX/Data Recording and Playback for Neopixels?

Post by tardistrekkie »

I'll take a look at this, thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”